[CW-Grad] Two Recent Graduates...Two Big Pieces Of News

sturogus at aol.com sturogus at aol.com
Mon Jul 19 09:00:08 PDT 2010

 Congrats to both Rick and Jeff.
You do our program proud.
Best,
Stu

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Russin <robin.russin at ucr.edu>
To: Tod Goldberg <tod.goldberg at ucr.edu>
Cc: jeff.girod at ucr.edu; rickmarlatt at hotmail.com; cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu
Sent: Mon, Jul 19, 2010 12:36 am
Subject: Re: [CW-Grad] Two Recent Graduates...Two Big Pieces Of News

Fantastic news! Great work, you "hot" shots!

Robin

On Jul 18, 2010, at 10:44 PM, Tod Goldberg wrote:

Hi all --

It's always hard in the summer to remember to tell the UCR

world about important things, or at least it is out here in

the desert where it's currently 100 degrees at 10:30pm, but I

wanted to draw your attention to two very cool things from two

of our recent graduates:

Rick Marlatt, the very first person admitted into the low

residency and part of our inaugural graduating class, has just

won the Seven Circle Press Chapbook contest for his first book

of poetry, How We Fell Apart, which was written over the

course of the last two years he was in the program. Rick was a

screenwriting major and wrote his prize-winning book in cross-

genre courses with Matthew Zapruder and Jill Alexander

Essbaum. For more info about Rick, visit:

http://rickmarlatt.com/index.html

Meanwhile, Jeff Girod, who also just earned his degree in

screenwriting, was awarded the National Humor Columnist of the

Year award by the National Society of Newspaper Columnists for

his work each week in the Inland Empire Weekly. You can read

more about Jeff and his award here:

http://newsroom.ucr.edu/news_item.html?action=page&id=2389

Back to boiling,

Tod

-----------------

Tod Goldberg

Administrative Director

MFA in Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts

Palm Desert Graduate Center

University of California at Riverside

75-080 Frank Sinatra Drive

Palm Desert, CA  92211

760.834.0928

CWgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu

Associate Professor, Department of Theatre

Director, MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts

robin.russin at ucr.edu

http://robinrussin.com

"I try all things; I achieve what I can." - Ishmael in "Moby Dick," written by

Herman Melville

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it." - William Munny in "Unforgiven," written

by David Webb Peoples

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by Keiko

Nobumoto

CWgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu