[CW-Grad] Two Recent Graduates...Two Big Pieces Of News

Tod Goldberg tod.goldberg at ucr.edu
Sun Jul 18 22:44:26 PDT 2010

Hi all --

It's always hard in the summer to remember to tell the UCR
world about important things, or at least it is out here in
the desert where it's currently 100 degrees at 10:30pm, but I
wanted to draw your attention to two very cool things from two
of our recent graduates:

Rick Marlatt, the very first person admitted into the low
residency and part of our inaugural graduating class, has just
won the Seven Circle Press Chapbook contest for his first book
of poetry, How We Fell Apart, which was written over the
course of the last two years he was in the program. Rick was a
screenwriting major and wrote his prize-winning book in cross-
genre courses with Matthew Zapruder and Jill Alexander
Essbaum. For more info about Rick, visit:
http://rickmarlatt.com/index.html

Meanwhile, Jeff Girod, who also just earned his degree in
screenwriting, was awarded the National Humor Columnist of the
Year award by the National Society of Newspaper Columnists for
his work each week in the Inland Empire Weekly. You can read
more about Jeff and his award here:
http://newsroom.ucr.edu/news_item.html?action=page&id=2389

Back to boiling,

Tod

Tod Goldberg
Administrative Director
MFA in Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
Palm Desert Graduate Center
University of California at Riverside
75-080 Frank Sinatra Drive
Palm Desert, CA  92211