[CW-Grad] South End Press: Job Opening

Ching-In Chen chinginchen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 10:17:35 PDT 2010

FYI,pass the word along!

Ching-In

Job Opening

*JOB OPENING: EDITOR / PUBLISHER/ MARKETING or FUNDRAISING*
Search begins April 2010. *Application deadline July 30*

South End Press is making moves. We have opened an office in Brooklyn, NY.
And we’re hiring. We are currently seeking qualified applicants to join our
small, majority women and majority people of color collective as *
Editor/Publisher.*

You know how to bring attention to struggles and the people engaged in them.
You love books. You care about social justice. Blend your avocation and
vocation at South End Press, the independent, collectively-run political
publisher of books that advance critical thinking and action for radical
social change. We are currently seeking qualified applicants to join our
collective. With the other collective members, you would work to manage the
business, acquire manuscripts, and edit, produce, and promote books.
*Interviews
begin June 15, application deadline July 30. People of color and LGBTIQ
people strongly encouraged to apply.*

*Required qualifications:*
• Three years of publishing, editing, or promotions experience
• Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of progressive and radical
politics
• Familiarity with progressive and radical media
• Demonstrated ability to manage and direct long-term projects with strict
timelines
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
• Excellent writing skills
• Proficiency with computers, including experience with word-processing,
desktop publishing, database, and spreadsheet software. Familiarity with
Adobe software a plus.

*Preferred qualifications:
* • Knowledge of the book trade
• Organizing or media experience within communities of color and/or LGBTIQ
communities
• Marketing or fundraising experience
 • Experience with electronic publishing including any of the following: web
publishing, electronic journals, e-books
• Experience working collectively

*Responsible for:
* • Working autonomously and collaboratively within a non-hierarchical
structure
• Acquiring, editing, producing, and promoting books on subjects such as:
transnational feminisms, anti-racist activism, queer politics, international
politics, green politics, anti-capitalist struggles, prison abolition
• Managing business departments (marketing/publicity, production,
rights, and/or
finances on a rotating basis)
• Sharing management of the business, including budgeting, collective
decision-making, and office maintenance
• Communicating with current and potential authors and media contacts

*Salary: $44,500
* Additional 20% differential for editors with children or elders at home.
Full health/dental benefits, public transit pass, four weeks paid vacation
per year. People of color and LGBTIQ people strongly encouraged to apply.
Send resume and cover letter, preferably in digital format and pdf if
possible, to *personnel at southendpress.org*. Alternatively, you may send by
post to:* Personnel,  South End Press, PO Box 24773, Brooklyn, NY 11202-4773
*or FAX (800) 960-0078*. NO PHONE INQUIRIES, PLEASE.*
--
~~~~~
Ching-In Chen