[CW-Grad] A word of wisdom, trust me...

rrussin at ucr.edu rrussin at ucr.edu
Mon Sep 7 22:16:58 PDT 2009

Hi all--

As I have before, I'm kicking off the year by again reminding you all of the most important thing you can do as writers:

BACK UP YOUR FILES. NOW. Go on, do it. I'll wait.

I speak from experience: I had my hard drive die on me. Kaput. Why did I not slit my wrists? You guessed it. I had backed up my files literally minutes before it happened. And boy, did I feel like I dodged a bullet.

So use a thumbdrive, an internet account, an ipod, whatever--but don't let more than an hours' work go by without back it up.

And, when your computer dies, as it likely will at some point, you'll think back fondly on me.

Robin Russin
Associate Professor & Graduate Advisor
robin.russin at ucr.edu