[CW-Grad] A special request from David

dlope015 at student.ucr.edu dlope015 at student.ucr.edu
Thu Oct 29 11:35:33 PDT 2009

I would like to ask everyone for a favor. November 7th marks the Dia De Los
Muertos Celebration in Santa Ana and some close friends and I will be erecting
an altar in memory of those that have fallen due to AIDS. I would like to invite
you all to please write something a poem, a few words, anything that would
show your feelings toward AIDS, loved ones you have lost, or AIDS awareness
and please send it to me. These will all be displayed on the altar for everyone to
appreciate. Thank you so much for helping out. Let me know if you have any
questions.

Thanks for wanting to help out! I really appreciate it! What I am asking people to
do is extremely limitless. There are no parameters in terms of length or
censorship. It is directly or indirectly associated with AIDS, however, that means
you could write specifically about a person you might have known, someone you
currently know, you can MAKE someone up, you can also speak of the global
issue, or give statistics, give advice, give a thought, express yourself through an
imaginary conversation with someone who might be living with it or has died
from it, the options are endless, a POEM is the perfect way to execute this (in
my opinion) but PLEASE really be creative with it...I've gotten so many negative
attitudes toward this, I don't know if it's the laziness of people or that they
authentically don't really care about the issue...but I think it's important and I
HAVE lost someone important to me to AIDS that's why I'm doing this...in his
honor.

So if you can, I'd really appreciate reading it and displaying it for everyone else
to see that you put it in the effort. It's not too hard, you just need to really focus
for about a minute and something will come. It's good to realize that there are
more difficult things in the world sometimes.

If you can do this, please include in your email your name (or if you choose to
remain anonymous), the city you live in and any affiliations (i.e. clubs,
organizations, schools, etc.) that you might belong to.

thanks so much again! and I hope that everyone will send me something.

You can send them directly to me ASAP, by Monday, November 2nd.

Thank you!

-David L.