[CW-Grad] MFA alumna Rebecca O'Connor's new memoir-- starred review in Publisher's Weekly!

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Mon Nov 2 15:13:19 PST 2009

 From their website:

Lift: A Memoir
Rebecca K. O’Connor. Red Hen, $18.95 (208p) ISBN 1597094603

Novelist and nature reference author O’Connor (Falcon’s Return) crafts
a lyrical tribute to the spiritual connection between humans and birds
in this memoir of the excruciating, transformative process of training
a peregrine falcon: “Falconry is a religion, a way of thinking, a
means of experiencing life.” Indeed, readers will find almost as much
spiritual content as natural. Despite O’Connor’s icy-clear voice, her
descriptions of training a young male falcon are fascinating for bird
lovers and civilians alike: “when the falcon connects a high-speed
dive… the duck remains a piece of the sky and only its body careens to
earth.” Surprisingly, periodic flashbacks to a troubled childhood—an
abusive stepfather, an absentee mother—bolster her story rather than
distract, turning a falcon’s “serious and unmerciful” eye back on her
own life, and discovering inexplicable wells of generosity and
forgiveness for the family who wronged her. O’Connor packs a lot of
intelligence, poise and feeling into a few pages, making this a
consistently rewarding read.

Rebecca rocks, as usual.

Robin Russin

Associate Professor & Graduate Advisor
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"I try all things; I achieve what I can." - Ishmael in "Moby Dick,"
written by Herman Melville

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it." - William Munny in
"Unforgiven," written by David Webb Peoples