[Cwgrad-announcements] Events in Palm Desert

Tod Goldberg goldberg at ucr.edu
Sun Mar 1 23:17:43 PST 2009

Hello all,

There are three events upcoming at the Palm Desert campus that might be of interest:

This Saturday, March 7th, at 6pm is our facutly reading night featuring:
Dick Hebdige
MG Lord
Mark Haskell Smith
Mary Otis
Rob Roberge
Alba Cruz Hacker
Tod Goldberg
Deanne Stillman

Each writer will be reading for about ten-fifteen minutes. Yes, there will be a break. There will also be water. And air conditioning! And maybe some cookies!

April 4th at 6pm
Aimee Bender will be coming to campus to read and then sit down for a long chat that will likely cover surrealism in her short fiction and novel and how surreal it must be to have Jessica Alba starring in the movie version of AImee's novel An Invisible Sign of My Own. If you haven't seen Aimee read before, or had the chance to fire questions at her, the intimate setting of our campus is just the place to do it. For those not familiar with AImee, she is the author of three wildly acclaimed books -- The Girl In The Flammable Skirt: Stories, An Invisible Sign Of My Own and Willful Creatures: Stories. Her short fiction has appeared in numerous magazines and journals, including Granta, McSweeney's, The Paris Review and GQ, twice earning a Pushcart Prize. She teaches creative writing at USC.

April 23rd at 6pm
Lynne Sharon Schwartz will be visiting to talk about her latest book, Not Now Traveler, a memoir, as well as her long and exceptionally honored writing career. Lynne Sharon Schwartz is the author of nearly two dozen books, including the novels Rough Strife, which was a finalist for the National Book Award, and Leaving Brooklyn, which was a finalist for the PEN/Faulkner, as well as two collections of stories, the best selling memoir Ruined by Reading and many, many others. Her short fiction has also appeared in the Best American Short Stories and the O. Henry Prize Stories, her essays in Best American Essays and countless anthologies.  She has received a grants from the Guggenheim as well as the NEA and is one of the finest and most flexible writers of the last 25 years. It's a real treat to have her on campus this year and this is one event surely not to be missed.

Books will be for sale at both Aimee & Lynne's events.

If you have any questions, just let me know,

Tod