[Cwgrad-announcements] A Word To The Wise

rrussin at ucr.edu rrussin at ucr.edu
Thu Jun 4 18:05:58 PDT 2009

Which is an expression that always mystifies me--if you're already wise, then...why?

But anyway:

Dear MFAs,

As the term ends, I have decided to write to you all about one of the biggest potential problems you're going to face.

You're reading it, right now.

I'm talking about email.

Not that there's too much of it (as if this note helps that problem!), or that it isn't a fast and easy way to pass along info. It is. BUT--it has this one, dangerous, insidious, pernicious pitfall: email cannot communicate the sender's tone.

You wonder why emoticons were invented? It's not so that tweener kids can get all cute with each other (though that's an annoying side-effect). It's because without them, there is a real danger that the tone, emotion and/or intent of the note can be totally lost, or worse, misinterpreted.

:(

Over this past couple of years, I have again and again been witness to this major failing of the medium. In a voicemail, you can modulate your voice to communicate intention; even a typed or hand-written note conveys the gentle grace of an earlier time, and does not seem to be not subject to this problem.

But email is. TYPE IN CAPS and one might think you're shouting, when you were only attempting to emphasize a critical point. Attempt jovial sarcasm that you think will get a chuckle, and it can come across as a true insult. Be direct and to the point, and it can read as rude and abrupt, when you were just trying to be direct and to the point.

Therefore, as my parting wisdom of the year, I urge you: If it's something important, that really requires conversation, then find a time to get together and converse, or at least get on the phone (you know, that old-fashioned thing with buttons and numbers and stuff--oops, that was meant to be jovial sarcasm) and save yourselves some real aggravation.

If you must use email, especially when dealing with someone you don't know well, be especially careful and thoughtful. Write it, then let it sit for a minute, then re-read it to be sure it conveys exactly what you want it to.

You are all wonderful writers. You know your craft, and you may assume that what you write in an email will come across as what you mean.  DON'T.

That way madness lies.   (8-&

It is my sincere desire that this particular email helps you all to remain sane.

:)

See you all at Susan's, I hope!

Best,

Robin