[Cwgrad-announcements] Three Great Lines From Last Night's Colloquium

Ching-In Chen chinginchen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 14:09:03 PST 2009

"She cast out, but stopped to watch him reach inside the small body of the
fish, pull its guts out, grad its head, and yank. In one hand he held the
heads, guts, and skin, in the other, the trout’s skinless, pink meat. He dug
a hole in the ground with his foot and into it dropped the entrails, then
turned back to the fish. Jabbing his thumbnail along the spine, he removed
the thick, black vein that ran up its back. His hands were covered in
blood."

-- Danielle Baron, “Fishing on the Eastern Side”

"As a small person (five feet, one hundred pounds to be exact), I suffer
these types of injustices often in all settings . . . People think I’m
young, therefore, they think they can boss me around, talk down to me,
patronize me with condescending direction or instruction, flatter me with
shallow compliments only an airhead or fifteen year old girl might
appreciate . . . I am the one made to sit on the lap of complete strangers
in cars that don’t fit all the passengers."

-- Alison Minami, “New Year’s Resolution 2006”

“'Think of it like the ocean. If you trawl the ocean with a little net,
you’ll only pull in tuna and seaweed. But if you cast your net wider, you’ll
find many more life forms than you ever knew existed. Love is this way,
too.'”
*
-- *Holly Gaglio, *Love Is This Way Too*

***Last Colloquium, March 10th: Adam Gallari, Patricia Rosales, and LaSharon
McLean Perez

--
~~~~~
Ching-In Chen