[Cwgrad-announcements] Fwd: Shane: Art-Church at UCR Sweeney Art Gallery

Alexis Vergalla alexis.vergalla at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 15:28:31 PDT 2008

>From Shane Shikis, at The UCR Sweeney Art Gallery:

I'm working on a series of events that will be in conjunction with the CHASS
theme of Religion this year. Short description below; call for proposals
attached. Short description below; call for proposals attached.

I was wondering if there are any MFA students who write about issues
relating to the CHASS theme and would be interested in doing a reading at
the Gallery?

We would publicize it in our press, promotional, and web materials, as well
as on campus. In addition, Geoff Cohen will make it part of the CHASS Theme
events calendar.

We are in the planning stages for this series, but to give you an idea,
there will be a performance piece by artist Todd Gray titled ³Art Church.²
Art Church is a performance event loosely structured like an absurdist
southern church revival. It explores art in relationship and reference to
spirituality. Art Church is not a replica of a southern Baptist church
service, but more of an inspired take on community building through the
sharing of performances emphasizing community and creativity. Find attached
a general call for proposals.

I'm currently looking for faculty and students (undergrad or grad) who could
take part in our series. Events could be as traditionally academic as
readings of essays, poetry, fiction, musical and dance performances, and may
also include temporary art installations. Events will take place inside the
gallery, but could also, if desired, take place on the historic pedestrian
mall in downtown Riverside.

Best.

Shane
--
Shane Shukis, Ph.D.
Assistant Director

Tel: 951-827-1467
Fax: 951-827-3798

http://sweeney.ucr.edu
http://artsblock.ucr.edu

FALL EXHIBITIONS
October 25-December 20, 2008

Like Lifelike: Painting in the Third Dimension

Wood, Metal, Plastic: Japanese Artists from the Permanent Collection,
Takashi Murakami & Toshio Odate

Alia Malley
December 4-20

Upcoming in Winter 2009, January 24-March 28: Solo exhibitions by Andrea
Bowers & Suzanne Lacy, Adia Millett, and Kyungmi Shin

UCR Sweeney Art Gallery
http://sweeney.ucr.edu

UCR ARTSblock consists of three premiere art institutions‹the California
Museum of Photography, the Sweeney Art Gallery, and the future Culver Center
of the Arts (2009)‹located on a single city block in downtown Riverside to
create an integrated arts complex.

"Why care for grammar, so long as we are good."
                                                   --------Artemus Ward

--
"In strictness we cannot speak of rays being either visible or invisible; it
is not the rays themselves but the objects they illuminate that become

www.alexisv.wordpress.com