[Cwgrad-announcements] women of color artists in academia panel sunday at ucr womyn of color conference

Ching-In Chen chinginchen at gmail.com
Tue May 27 22:12:00 PDT 2008

**Greetings all,

Cupid, Amalia, Cristy, myself and Adanna (from the dance program) will be on
a panel on the experiences of women of color artists in academia during this
weekend's Womyn of Color Conference at UCR.  We'd love for you to join us!

xoxo,
Ching-In

*Can Community Voices Thrive Within the Ivory Tower? Women of Color Artists
in Academia Panel*

*Sunday, June 1, **WOMYN OF COLOR CONFERENCE @ UCR, 11:45am - 1pm, Watkins
1000*
*
*

Where can women of color artists find support to focus on making their art?
Is academia a viable option? This panel will focus on the experience of
women of color artists in the academic system (both those in MFA and PhD
programs) -- why we've made the choice to enter into academia, how it
supports or doesn't support our creative process, whether it's been hard or
easy to find community within these programs/institutions, and our
experience within these programs.

*
*

*Moderator**:*

*Ching-In Chen* is the author of *The Heart's Traffic* (Arktoi Books/Red Hen
Press, 2009), which feature the adventures of a girl called Xiaomei. Past
occupations include karaoke singer, flautist, 1st grade literacy teacher,
community organizer, construction job counselor, and a severely lost person
in the Rocky Mountains. Her poems have appeared or are forthcoming in
*Water~Stone
Review,* *Fifth Wednesday Journal, *and* OCHO*. A Kundiman Asian American
Fellow, Ching-In is currently in the MFA program in Creative Writing at UC
Riverside.

 *Panelists:*

*Amalia Alvarez* has performed her poetry at Hip Hop Califest 2008, 94.1
KPFA in Berkeley, the Houston radio show, Nuestra Palabra on 90.1 FM, San
Francisco's Second Sundays, Dalva, Spoken City, Bay Area High Schools,
numerous political events, San Francisco State University, UC Riverside,
Cerritos College, and Colorado State University. In 2006, she received an
honorable mention in San Francisco's Browning Society Dramatic Monologue
Contest for "*Revolutionary Women Are More Beautiful."* Her one act play, *
Blazing*, was selected for production at San Francisco State's Studio
Theater from March 13-17 2006. She has taught poetry workshops with youth in
Oaxaca, Mexico, San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley and Riverside, CA, Fort
Collins, CO, Chester, PA, and Phoenix, AZ. Alvarez has published in Fem
Magazine, The Oaxaca Times, The Underground Railroad, and Cipactli, San
Francisco State's Raza Studies Journal. She will complete her MFA in
Creative Writing, Poetry from UC Riverside in June 2008 and currently
teaches within the Creative Writing Department at UCR.

*Cristián Flores* received her bachelor's degree and M.F.A. in Creative
Writing & Writing for the Performing Arts from UCR. She was the recipient of
the 2006 Clara Peretzman Scholarship for Immigrant Women. She is currently
working on her first book of poetry and also pursuing a degree in music
while training for the Long Beach Marathon. Her work has appeared in the
Mosaic Literary Journal, The Magazine of UC Riverside.

*Cupid Flowers* attended Grambling State University (Grambling, Louisiana)
for three semesters before transferring to the University of Oklahoma, where
she received a BA in Film & Video Studies. After living in Florida and
Arkansas, she moved to Riverside to attend graduate school at the UCR. She
is currently studying for the Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing with
emphases in screenwriting and poetry.

*Adanna Kai Jones*: Currently, I am a first year PhD student in the Dance
History and Theory Program. For my undergraduate degree, I attended Mason
Gross School of the Arts--Rutgers University (New Jersey) and received a BFA
in Dance. I am currently interested in researching the Hip Hop dance scene
in Cuba, which I hope to further develop into the focus of my dissertation.