[Cwgrad-announcements] Introducing Nam Le and Gabriela Jauregui

Ky-Phong Paul Tran thepaultran at yahoo.com
Mon May 12 23:00:07 PDT 2008

Nam Le's first book, The Boat, a collection of stories set all over the world, will be released by Alfred A. Knopf tomorrow, Tuesday, May 13.  Nam was born in Vietnam and raised in Australia.  An Iowa grad, he has had work in Zoetrope and Best American Nonrequired 2007.  A fiction editor at the Harvard Review, he was just reviewed by the diva herself, Michiko Kakutani, in the NY Times.

Somehow, I got a galley and what I think is the first big interview with him.  It can be found here:
http://www.aapw-la.org/interviews-namle.php

This Sunday, our very own Gabriela Jauregui will be reading from her first book of poetry, Controlled Decay (Akashic/Black Goat).  Gaby is a whirlwind, a force of nature. She speaks over half dozen languages and might have over a half dozen college degrees.  Most recently, she was a Paul and Daisy Soros New American Fellow and host of ARTSblock live!/KCET podcasts.  Most of all, she shreds as a poet.

Details on her reading:
Sunday, May 18, 2008      3-6pm
The World Wide Word Radio Network Present a Sunday afternoon of Poetry
@ the Amsterdam Cafe
10905 Magnolia Blvd
North Hollywood, CA 91601