[Cwgrad-announcements] FW: Boxcar Poetry Review Issue 12 is Up (Just in time for AWP!)

Amanda amandal at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 22 07:51:32 PST 2008

Dear Boxcar Friends,

We are pleased to announce that Issue 12 is now online and ready to be read!
Great poems, great reviews, and a great conversation between first book
poets.

Like the boy in this issue's cover photo by Jon Kersey, we find ourselves in
this issue straddling two worlds, peering into the waters to see what lies
ahead and beneath. We begin with a bullet train, end with a road trip, and
encounter the beautiful, the bright, the dark, and the emphemeral along the
way.

In this issue's poems, we are also pleased to feature great reviews of Ivy
Alvarez's Mortal and Karen Harryman's Auto Mechanic's Daughter, as well as
the first half of a conversation between two first book poets, Ivy Alvarez
and Lee Herrick. Jon Kersey's photography adds yet another dimension to this
first issue of 2008.

Check out the end of this email for some important announcements regarding
the 2007 Oboh Prize winners, the 2006 print anthology, and our table at the
upcoming AWP book fair in NYC.

Read it here:  www.boxcarpoetry.com

In this issue:

Poetry

*	Cristiana Baik: "Dear Nozomi, I will arrive to the destination
first"
*	Rachel Bunting: "Lot's Daughters"
*	Clark Chatlain: "Flathead Lake"
*	Frankie Drayus: "Dispatch"
*	Brent Fisk: "When Adam Falls from Sleep"
*	Donna Huneke: "On Sundays she sets the sun"
*	John Johnson: "Light Sleeper"
*	Laura Powers: "Dying Like Eurydice in Idaho's Backcountry"
*	Brian Simoneau: "Funeral With Cherry Blossoms Falling"
*	Charles Springer: "Roadies"

Reviews

*	Ivy Alvarez's Mortal ~ Craig Santos Perez
*	Karen Harryman's Auto Mechanic's Daughter ~ Kate Durbin

Conversation

*	Ivy Alvarez & Lee Herrick in Conversation Part 1

Photography

*	Jon Kersey (2 images)

ANNOUNCEMENTS

2007 Oboh Prize Winners

We are also pleased to announce that Amanda Yskamp's poem "Not Home" was
selected as the Oboh Prize / Best Poem of the Year by our external judge
Rebecca Seiferle.  Second place was awarded to James Owens' "Is" and third
place to Robin Halevy's "This, Unspoken."  The winning poems were chosen
from the pool of Peer Award winners and runners-up (2nd and 3rd place
finishes) for 2007.  The final judging was done blindly -- all names were
removed from the entries and were judged on their individual merit by the
external judge.

Regarding the winning poem "Not Home" by Amanda Yskamp, Rebecca wrote:

For all of its evocative phrases "carbon remnants of what she said" or the
play upon 'we were best of buds," this poem is most compelling in its
voice-- wry, argumentative, shrewdly hip--and the way that voice accelerates
in intensity toward closure and encounter. Beginning with "there's a reason
for this," the voice conveys the overly determined "why" and '"probably why"
of being reasonable, being unravelled by passion; the speaker daring,
finally, to take on 'crazy': "I'll show you/ crazy, I'll show you it's my
life you're in, not the other way around." There's not a moment in the poem
where the poet slips out of voice, and it's particularly crafty how the poem
conflates the "you" of the she- replied-to with the ''you" of the reader.

Boxcar Poetry Review 2006 Anthology for sale at Lulu.com (and soon through
Amazon)

The much delayed and anticipated 2006 anthology is now out.  We chose one
poem from each of the poets we published in 2006 and assembled a collection
of some of the finest poetry available.

Edited by Neil Aitken, this anthology features work from 54 poets including
Mary Alexandra Agner, Arlene Ang, Christopher Buckley, Jared Carter, Michael
Catherwood, George David Clark, Jeannine Hall Gailey, Anne Haines, Alexander
Long, Rachel Mallino, Marty McConnell, Barbara Jane Reyes, Patrick Rosal,
Erin Elizabeth Smith, and many more published in Boxcar Poetry Review during
2006.

Click here for the Lulu link to purchase or peruse:
http://www.lulu.com/content/1749273

Boxcar Poets Make a Big Impression in The Best of the Net 2007 Anthology

We are pleased to announce that three poems from Boxcar Poetry Review have
been selected for Sundress Press's Best of the Net 2007 Anthology:

*	"Forget" by Tamiko Beyer (Issue 7 - Mar 2007)
*	"Marrying the Violence" by Marty McConnell (Issue 4 - Sept 2006)
*	"How We're Moved" by Heather Salus (Issue 6 - Jan 2007)

Congratulations to these poets on this accomplishment!  Poet Chad Davidson
served as final judge.  Evidently only 20 poems were chosen out of all the
poems published online between July 1, 2006 and June 30, 2007.  I'd consider
3/20 a pretty remarkable showing for our journal!
Boxcar Poetry Review Comes to AWP in NYC

Boxcar will be in the book fair this year.   Come by and visit us at Table
524 in the Hall of the Americas II in the Hilton!  Copies of the 2006
anthology will be available for sale.  If you're interested in doing book
signings at our table, we'd be happy to fit you into our schedule.  Please
contact us for more information.

Once again, it has been a great pleasure to see such great poetry come
together in each issue.  I hope you enjoy our first issue of 2008 as much as
we have.

Best wishes,
Neil Aitken, Editor
Boxcar Poetry Review