[Cwgrad-announcements] FW: "Bibliocracy" on KPFK Monday at noou

Amanda amandal at ucr.edu
Mon Jan 14 10:31:51 PST 2008

Welcome to "Bibliocracy."

http://www.kpfk.org/index.php?option=com_content
<http://www.kpfk.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3675&Itemid=7
9> &task=view&id=3675&Itemid=79

http://bibliocracyradio.blogspot.com/

Here's a first gentle assault in my otherwise low-tech publicity blitz to
support "Bibliocracy," the weekly literary arts program I host on KPFK
starting Monday, January 14 at noon.  I hope you will listen, either live
(on radio or stream) or via station archives library later.  Please do tell
friends, bookmark my blog (where I will post program information and offer a
calendar, eventually), add "Bibliocracy" as a link to your own blog, and
feel free to share this email.  If you like the show, or want to support my
efforts, do contact the station with positive comments.  And when the fund
drive begins, February 12 - 26, please do subscribe as a supporting member
of the station and mention your enthusiasm for "Bibliocracy."  I will have
arranged for a few special literary "thank you" subscription premiums to be
available.  Finally, I am eager to receive suggestions, advice, ideas for
guests and books.  Note that the program will focus largely on literary
fiction and nonfiction, though I am thrilled to feature the poetry of
multi-talented Al Young (novelist, memoirist, poet, and essayist) on the
debut program.  See below.

Thanks.

The Bibliofella,

Andrew Tonkovich

"Bibliocracy" airs Mondays,  noon - 12:30 pm on  Pacifica Radio KPFK, 90.7
FM in Los Angeles/98.7 FM in Santa Barbara and live streaming online:
www.kpfk.org <http://www.kpfk.org/> .

Inaugural program:  Monday, January 14, 2008.  Noon.  "Bibliocracy" debuts
with an interview of novelist, essayist, educator, activist, blues man and
California state poet laureate Al Young.  His latest collection in a long
and remarkable career, Something About the Blues:  An Unlikely Collection,
features new poems and a CD of recorded live readings with musical
accompaniment.  For more on Al Young see http://www.aboutalyoung.org
<http://www.aboutalyoung.org/>

Upcoming programs:

Judith Freeman, author of The Long Embrace:  Raymond Chandler and the Woman
He Loved.  "This elegant, stirring book plumbs a great mystery, one hidden,
from even Chandler's many devoted readers, in plain sight.  Freeman's book
is a mediation on marriage, a persuasive biographical and literary study,
and, best of all, one of those rare books, like Nicholson Baker's U and I or
Geoff Dyer's Out of Sheer Rage, where one writer's study of another takes
the form of a confessional fugue on the writing act itself."  - Jonathan
Lethem

Editor and contributors to Latinos in Lotusland:  Daniel Olivas (Devil
Talk), Reyna Grande (Across a Hundred Mountains) and Michael Jaime-Becerra
(Every Night is Ladies Night).  A landmark anthology of Latino writing on
Southern California spanning sixty years and all genres, with classic
writing and contributions from new writers.

Terese Svoboda, author of the Graywolf Prize-winning Black Glasses Like
Clark Kent:  A GI's Secret from Postwar Japan. As a child Svoboda thought of
her uncle as Superman, with "Black Clark Kent glasses and grapefruit-sized
biceps."  At nearly eighty, he could still boast a washboard stomach.  When
he asks his author niece to write a book about his time in Japan as guard at
a military prison and begins recording his war stories on audio tapes,
Svoboda reluctantly agrees to listen.  With the simultaneous news of Abu
Ghraib, her invincible uncle falls into a terrible depression --- and the
tapes abruptly end with his suicide.  Intrigued by her uncle's implications
of foul play at the Japanese prison, Svoboda launches her own investigation,
traveling to Japan, digging through buried files at the National Archives,
and contacting the few remaining vets who served with her uncle.

Toni Mirosevich, author of Pink Harvest:  Tales of Happenstance, a
collection of personal and political essays which won the "First Series:
Creative Nonfiction" Prize from Mid-List Press.  Mirosevich is author of
fiction and essays, poetry and a chapbook, in addition to the collections
The Rooms We Make Our Own and Queer Street. "Mirosevich writes the
multitudinal facets of the DNA of a human soul.no, the DNA of all of
gigantic humanity.  Reading along, I am hopelessly snagged between reverence
and out-of-control brays of laugher.  Mirosevich is breathlessly wise, and
she's a smartass."  Carolyn Chute.

Stay tuned!