[Cwgrad-announcements] FW: (dis)junctions CFP

Amanda amandal at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 11 08:17:01 PST 2008

Please distribute widely.

Call for Papers: General Topic, Humanities and Social Sciences

University of California Riversides Fifteenth Annual Graduate Humanities Conference

April 11-12, 2008

Where the Streets Are Re-named(dis)junctions 2008
Abstract deadline: 2/15/08

     In recent years, critical theory has worked hard to challenge the cartography of scholarly inquiry. As a result, distinguishable borders between previously exclusive disciplines, critical approaches, and schools of thought have been increasingly punctured, washed out, and otherwise blurred. We can no longer read or write from a sedentary point of view, but must instead negotiate an ever-shifting landscape that requires new maps.
     In developing this years theme, we are hoping to formulate panels in which modes of thinking about literature, theory, religion, art, popular culture, philosophy, and the sciences engage and then modify accepted cultural conventions.  We are particularly interested in how writers/artists/theorists work from a global perspective of the world to cross geopolitical, national, disciplinary, sexual, gender, ethnic, and racial borders .  What is the effect of this (dis)engagement?  Where is it located, and how does it work?  How can trans-discourse impact our understanding of the self/other?
     (dis)junctions is a large conference, spanning a number of themes all topics are welcome, including traditional genre and period-related papers! Creative pieces and artwork are also highly encouraged.  Please look for additional panel-specific Call for Papers in the weeks to come.
    Please email abstracts (250-300 words) to Disjunctions2008 at aol.com. Also, please note any A/V needs you may havewe can obtain VCRs, DVDs, and projectors for laptops. Less standard equipment is possible (although not guaranteed) upon request.