[Cwgrad-announcements] FW: 2008 Scholarships to New York State Summer Writers Institute

Amanda amandal at ucr.edu
Mon Feb 4 14:06:51 PST 2008

2008 SCHOLARSHIPS to New York State Summer Writers Institute

at Skidmore College

To Teachers of Creative Writing:

Two endowment gifts to The New York State Summer Writers Institute
<http://pull.xmr3.com/p/565-7192/79627177/clickto1_ummer_writers_institute-i
ndex.html>  allows us to offer, for the fourth year, fifteen to twenty FULL
tuition scholarships to deserving undergraduate and graduate students. The
scholarships will cover up to $1120 for students applying for two-week
workshops in Poetry, Fiction, or Creative Non-Fiction, and up to $2240 for
four-week applicants.

It is our hope that faculty members will nominate--in a simple, one-step
procedure briefly described below-- particular students who are likely to be
interested in one of the following:

--Mimi Bresler Smith and Patricia Robertson Amusa-Shonubi Minority
Scholarships in Creative Writing (up to 10 available)

-Collegiate Scholarships (up to 10 available)

To nominate students, you need only send an email to
writerscholarship at skidmore.edu indicating the names and email addresses of
those you have selected. I can take it from there. Please indicate which of
the scholarships you are recommending for each of those named.

PLEASE NOTE THAT from 2005 to 2007, under these same auspices, we gave a
total of FIFTY-EIGHT FULL TUITION SCHOLARSHIPS to students from Temple
University, Brown University, Stanford University, Cleveland State
University, Connecticut College, University of Rochester, UMichigan, Sarah
Lawrence, Yale University, Wellesley College, Washington University, UMiami,
Bennington College and other schools.

The Institute this year extends from June 30th to July 25, 2008. As always,
the program is held on the campus of Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs,
New York, and offers two- and four-week workshops taught by the following
people:

--FICTION: Marilynne Robinson, Mary Gordon, Rick Moody, Mary Gaitskill, Jim
Shepard, Margot Livesey, Howard Norman, Elizabeth Benedict, Kathryn
Harrison, Neil Gordon, Alix Ohlin, and Julia Slavin

--POETRY: Frank Bidart, Henri Cole, and Campbell McGrath

--CREATIVE NON-FICTION: Phillip Lopate and James Miller

--Visiting Writers: Joyce Carol Oates, Charles Simic, Russell Banks, Caryl
Phillips, Jamaica Kincaid, Ann Beattie, Richard Howard, Robert Pinsky,
Francine Prose, Robert Stone, Michael Ondaatje, Richard Ford, Jay McInerney,
Mary Kinzie and William Kennedy.

If you would like to visit our web site, or to send students to the site,
you (and they) can go directly to the site at:
http://www.skidmore.edu/administration/osp/summer_writers_institute/index.ht
<http://pull.xmr3.com/p/565-B513/79627179/clickto2_ummer_writers_institute-i
ndex.html>

I look forward to hearing from you with your nominations-up to six nominated
students from each writing instructor are welcome. ONLY THE NAMES OF
NOMINATED STUDENTS AND THEIR EMAIL ADDRESSES ARE REQUIRED. And please: All
recommendations must be received BY FEBRUARY 28th. Thanks, best wishes,

Robert Boyers, Director, New York State Summer Writers Institute
Professor of English, Skidmore College
Editor, SALMAGUNDI

***Again, please send all nominations and other correspondence regarding the
scholarship awards to Robert Boyers at the following email address:
writerscholarship at skidmore.edu.

PS Please feel free to print out and post our flyer
<http://pull.xmr3.com/p/565-8317/79627181/clickto3_ecurity-getfile-pageid=15
6817.html>  announcing these scholarships.

Skidmore College Special Programs
815 N. Broadway
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

This is a commercial message.
Error! Filename not specified.

  _____

If you would prefer not to receive further messages from this sender, please

click on the following e-mail link and send a message with or without
any text:

Click <mailto:K-5-908619-11807537-2-565-US1-D7D3BEF8 at xmr3.com>  here to opt
out

You will receive one additional e-mail message confirming your removal.