[Cwgrad-announcements] FW: Summer Literary Seminars November Update

Amanda J Labagnara amandal at ucr.edu
Wed Oct 31 13:55:17 PDT 2007

 Summer Literary Seminars | http://www.sumlitsem.org/         Nove
SUMMER LITERARY SEMINARS-NOVEMBER UPDATE<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

Dear Friends in Literature,

CONTENTS

1. 2008 Russia Program Updates: format and faculty additions

2. Contest: Win a Free Trip to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Russia or Kenya

3. SLS 10th Anniversary Fundraising Campaign

-----------------------

1. 2008 RUSSIA PROGRAM UPDATES: FORMAT AND FACULTY ADDITIONS

We're very excited to announce our brand-new program structure, to be
implemented in 2008. The first two weeks will mirror the classic SLS-Russia
format that's ten years in development (writing workshops, lectures,
readings, roundtable discussions, walking tours, boat rides, etc.) -- but
the third, final, and optional week of the program, will be dedicated to a
festival of Russian Writing, with an even greater overall emphasis on
meeting Russian writers, increased opportunity for collaborative work,
specially focused lectures and roundtable discussions, and much more. Please
check our website over the coming months for frequent program updates.

A special welcome to the newest additions to our 2008 Russia faculty:

Fiction - Binnie Kirshenbaum

Fiction -- Tom Bissell

Fiction -- Catherine Texier

Non-Fiction -- Binyavanga Wainaina
Poetry - Christian Bok
Travel Writing - (afternoon) Stephanie Griest
Untranslatable Russia (afternoon) - Alexander Skidan

Lecturer - Pyotr Aleshkovsky

Lecturer - Arkadii Dragomoschenko,

Lecturer - Sergey Gandlevsky

Lecturer - Dmitri Golynko-Volfson

Lecturer - Ekaterina Taratuta

Lecturer - Leonid Kostyukov

Lecturer - Linor Goralik

Lecturer - Stanislav Lvovsky

Lecturer - Dmitry Kuzmin

Many others TBA.

We are currently accepting applications for our 2008 Russia program, found
on our website at www.sumlitsem.org <http://www.sumlitsem.org/> .

2. KENYA AND RUSSIA LITERARY CONTEST

The annual Summer Literary Seminars-St. Petersburg, Russia/Nairobi-Lamu,
Kenya program-one of the world's most renowned, dynamic and innovative
international literary conferences, now in the tenth year of its
existence-announces the launch of its 2008 literary contest, offering the
winners some of the most generous prizes in North America. This year, in
keeping with our stated goal of bringing under one logistical umbrella our
two extremely dissimilar (in the very best sense of the word) flagship
programs, we're trying something new-indeed, by merging together our
SLS-Russia and SLS-Kenya contests. The entrance fee for this one, unified
contest (held in three genres: fiction, non-fiction, and poetry) will be $15
in the US or Canadian ($10 if postmarked before November 1st), but the
winners in each category will receive publication in one of the three
high-quality North American literary/general interest magazines-Maisonneuve
(Montreal, QC): non-fiction; The Walrus (Toronto, ON) and St. Petersburg
Review (Concord, NH): fiction, poetry-AND the choice of attending (airfare,
tuition, and housing included, approximately value of $5,000) EITHER our
Russia or Kenya programs. (Those that have already applied to the Kenya
contest, will be automatically entered into this unified SLS contest.)

This Year's Contest Judges:

Robert Hass -- poetry

Fiona McCrae (Graywolf Press, Publisher and Editor-in-Chief) - fiction

Josip Novakovich - non-fiction.

Second-place winners will receive a full tuition waiver for either the
Russia or Kenya programs, and third-place winners will receive a 50% tuition
discount on either the Russia or Kenya programs. A limited number of
finalists in each genre, determined by the contest readers based on the
respective entries' overall strength,  will be offered Select Scholarships
applicable either to the Russia or Kenya programs. Please see our website
for complete contest guidelines: www.sumlitsem.org
<http://www.sumlitsem.org/> .

Contest Deadline: February 28, 2008 (postmarked)

Entries from Canada may be sent to:

Summer Literary Seminars
KENYA & RUSSIA Fiction/Nonfiction/Poetry Contest (Please indicate genre)
English Department
Concordia University
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W.
Montreal, Quebec H3G 1M8 Canada

Entries from the US and other countries may be sent to:

Summer Literary Seminars
KENYA & RUSSIA Fiction/Nonfiction/Poetry Contest (please indicate genre)
PO Box 16
Brooklyn, NY 11222

 Best of luck to all who enter!

3. SLS 10th ANNIVERSARY FUNDRAISING CAMPAIGN

This past July we received official confirmation of our 501 (c) (3) status
following our three-year trial-we couldn't be more pleased about the
development, as it now means that all charitable donations made to SLS are
completely tax deductible.

In celebration of our 10th year as a completely independent organization,
we're launching our largest fundraising campaign ever. Through the spring
SLS will be partially focused on fundraising, moving forward on several new
grant writing initiatives, and planning fundraising events in several North
American cities.

We'd be remiss if we didn't at this time ask those of you with the means to
seriously consider donating to our organization-we do indeed need your help,
and we would be forever grateful for any contribution you can make.
Contributions may be sent by check (made out to Summer Literary Seminars)
to:

SLS-Fundraising PO Box 16 Brooklyn, NY 11222-0016

Alternatively, contributions can be made using credit or debit cards by
following the link at the bottom of this page:
http://www.sumlitsem.org/russia/payments.aspx

Our very best wishes to you,

Summer Literary Seminars

Maurya Simon