[Cwgrad-announcements] Grad and Diversity issues

Vanessa Hua vanessa.hua at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 12:05:24 PST 2007

I'm also interested in participating in diversity outreach efforts.
As students, we can be effective recruiting at summer conferences such
as Squaw, Napa Valley, and especially Voices of Our Nation.  I can't
emphasize how important word-of-mouth is and I'm doing my best to
encourage some great applicants to apply here.

I also suggest changing the website to emphasize how the school values
diversity. The faculty profiles are already great -- but perhaps UCR
could put profiles and contact info for current students, that
applicants can contact. And of past students, too. Prospective
students scrutinize all that information.

Also, applicants are looking VERY closely at online bulletin boards
such as P&W, Tom Kealey's etc.  There is much discussion about
different schools and diversity is an issue that comes up. The
question is if students/faculty should check into these boards and
respond to rumors.