[Cwgrad-announcements] Re the WGA pickets and meeting writers

rrussin at ucr.edu rrussin at ucr.edu
Tue Nov 13 07:29:01 PST 2007

Hi all--

Just to encourage you not to be shy if you join the strike
lines: stick out your hand, introduce yourself and talk to as
many writers as you can.

This past week, I met most of the staff of The Shield, Private
Practice, Grey's Anatomy, one of my favorite writers from the
Rome miniseries, three writers on Dexter, Paul Haggis'
daughter, who's just starting out like you are, the creator of
The Riches, several staff members from The Black Donnellys,
and Rick Dahl, who writes with his brother John Dahl (Last
Seduction, Red Rock West, etc.), and many more--including a
writer for Crank Yankers and Drawn Together who I understand
is good friends with Carly and her husband Jon!

This is the silver lining of this cloud over Hollywood, at
least for you guys. You will meet more professional
screenwriters--as well as actors--in a few days than you might
otherwise in years.

So bring some good walking shoes