[Cwgrad-announcements] Susan Straight wins Lannan award!

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Thu Nov 8 10:22:46 PST 2007

I'd say this was incredible, except that would imply it was not to be
believed. When, of course, it is so richly deserved!

Huge congratulations, Susan!

Robin

On Nov 8, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Charles Whitney wrote:

Way to go, Susan!

See the UCR release:  http://www.newsroom.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/display.cgi?
id=1710

The New York Times story:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/08/books/08arts-POETWINS2000_BRF.html?
_r=1&oref=slogin.

As the Times story also notes, Mike Davis won the $150k nonfiction
award, and Daniel Alarcon, who read at Writers Week this past year,
won a Lannan fellowship.

The Lannan Foundation also ran a fullpage ad in the Times.

Maybe now Susan can trade in that old minivan for a Porsche Cayenne.
Or maybe send the girls to college.

cw

--
D. Charles Whitney, Professor and Chair
Department of Creative Writing

I still believe that if your aim is to change the world, journalism
is a more immediate short-term
   weapon.
						-- Tom Stoppard