[Cwgrad-announcements] Split This Rock poetry festival proposals

Ching-In Chen chinginchen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 09:27:17 PST 2007

*Split This Rock Poetry Festival: Poems of Provocation & Witness* invites
proposals for *panel discussions* and workshops on a range of topics at the
intersection of poetry and social change. The guidelines are pasted below
and will be available for download from the website at
www.SplitThisRock.org<http://www.splitthisrock.org/>next week.
*The deadline is December 1, 2007*. Please forward this notice widely and
send us your ideas – we can't wait to read them.
Sarah Browning and the Coordinating Committee of Split This Rock
**

*Split This Rock Poetry Festival*
*CALL FOR PANEL DISCUSSION PROPOSALS*

*Split This Rock *calls poets to a greater role in public life and fosters a
national community of activist poets. Building the audience for poetry of
provocation and witness from our home in the nation's capital, we celebrate
poetic diversity and the transformative power of the imagination.

*Split This Rock Poetry Festival: Poems of Provocation & Witness*
*March 20-23, 2008, Washington, DC*

Split This Rock Poetry Festival will bring poets and writers to Washington
DC on the fifth anniversary of the invasion of Iraq, in the midst of the
presidential election. The festival will feature readings, workshops, panel
discussions, youth programming, film, activism, and walking tours -
opportunities to build community, hone our activist skills, and celebrate
the many ways that poetry can act as an agent for social change. To read
more about the festival, see our website at:
www.SplitThisRock.org<http://www.splitthisrock.org/>.

In addition to featured readings by guest poets, Split this Rock invites
proposals for panel discussions and workshops on a range of topics at the
intersection of poetry and social change. Possibilities are endless.
Challenge us. Let's talk about craft, let's talk about mentoring young
poets, let's talk about working in prisons, connecting with the activist
community, sustaining ourselves in dark times, the role of poetry in
wartime. Let's remember great poet activists and discover new, let's think
international, visual, collaborative, out of the box.

A panel may consist of 3-4 persons, with one person designated as
facilitator. Please title your panel and include brief biographical
information for each participant, along with a two paragraph description of
your panel—what are the questions you wish to explore—why is this
conversation timely and necessary at this time—how will this panel further
the goals of Split This Rock?  How are the members of your panel uniquely
qualified to lead a conversation on your proposed topic?

We have a strong interest in interactive conversation and community
building, so please indicate *how* you will involve participants in the
discussion.

Please note that panel presenters must register for Split This Rock Poetry
Festival. Some scholarships will be available. There is no limit to the
number of proposals you may send, but please be sure that all proposed
presenters have agreed to be part of your proposed panel. Also, we are a
small, mostly volunteer group, so please send only your favorite ideas.

Send proposals in the body of an email to: info at splitthisrock.org by
December 1, 2007. Please include full contact information for yourself and
all proposed panel presenters. Please use the attached form. Just copy the
questions into an email and paste your answers in. Please be sure to save a
copy of your proposal, as emails do sometimes go astray. We will acknowledge
receipt of your proposal, with a timeline for hearing back.

Questions? Email us at info at splitthisrock.org. We look forward to reading
your proposal!

*Split This Rock Poetry Festival*
*PANEL DISCUSSION PROPOSAL FORM*

PANEL TITLE:

Convener/Facilitator Name:
Mailing Address:

Email Address:
Phone:

Participant Name:
Mailing Address:

Email Address:
Phone:

Participant Name:
Mailing Address:

Email Address:
Phone:

Participant Name:
Mailing Address:

Email Address:
Phone:

1.  Please include a one paragraph bio for each participant.

2.  Please describe in 250 words or less the purpose of your panel.

 3.  Describe your method for involving festival participants in the panel.

**

*Support Split This Rock – click here
<https://secure.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/IPS/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=1120>to
make a secure tax-deductible donation. Be sure to designate Split This Rock
as the recipient of your gift. Many thanks!*

**
Sarah Browning
Coordinator
Split This Rock Poetry Festival