[Cwgrad-announcements] Great reading!

Maurya Simon maurya.simon at ucr.edu
Fri May 18 16:52:07 PDT 2007

Dear Kate,

It was indeed a marvellous reading!  Hearty thanks to all of you who
organized it--and to whomever made those heavenly chocolate chip cookies!

My several undergrad students in attendance were also dazzled, simply
overwhelmed by how talented and brilliant our graduating MFA writers
are.  It was a JOY to be there-- I only wish that more of my faculty
colleagues had been able to attend, since this was such a successful and
important event, a moving rite of passage.

Best wishes,
Maurya

At 02:41 PM 5/18/2007, kdurb001 at student.ucr.edu wrote:
>Congrats, everyone, on a fabulous 2nd year reading. I was so impressed by
>all of
>your readings and feel blessed to be a part of such a phenomenal program that
>cultivates such incredible, diverse, and challenging writers.
>
>I didn't really realize how great the reading was until I spoke today with
>several
>of my students who were in attendance last night. They all raved, and I mean
>raved, about it. They were unanimously impressed, and challenged by the work
>they heard. They wanted to go home and write afterwards. I can't think of a
>better compliment!
>
>Thanks again to Alexis and the first years for all the hard work with
>advertising,
>getting food, and putting together the reading. I know it wasn't easy. But
>it was
>much appreciated!
>
>On a last note, which is somewhat unrelated, the new issue of LA Weekly has a
>great series of articles on LA booksellers. It features quirky bios of
>Vroman's,
>Skylight, Book Soup, and several of the other booksellers we've come to
>support
>and love (and who love and support us by letting us read in them and one day
>selling our books). There are also several stories by LA writers and a great
>interview with the quirky and fabulous Miranda July, who's new collection of
>short stories, No One Belongs Here More Than You, is supposed to be quite
>good. So check it out!
>
>Best,
>Kate

Maurya Simon