[Cwgrad-announcements] Reading this Friday at Skylight!

Gabriela Jauregui gabrielajauregui at gmail.com
Sun May 6 21:48:19 PDT 2007

Dear All,
There's a reading coming up for a great anthology on Failure for which
I wrote a brief essay and interviewed some interesting artists...
Hopefully some of you will be able to make it!
best,
Gabriela

The Journal of Aesthetics & Protest Presents:
Readings and a performance, in celebration of

Issue 5, Vol. 2, The Journal of Aesthetics & Protest
and Failure! Experiments in Aesthetic & Social Practices, published by the
Journal of Aesthetics and Protest Press

Friday, May 11, 2007 7:30-10PM
Skylight Books
1818 N. Vermont Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Tel: (323) 660-1175

Authors Catherine Hollander and Colin Dickey will read their respective
contributions to Failure! Experiments in Aesthetic & Social Practices--the
first
book published by the Journal Press.  Following a brief note of introduction
The Journal of Aesthetics & Protest Issue 5, Lucas Michael will perform Mein
Buch: A submission at 9 p.m.

Failure! Experiments in Aesthetic and Social Practices, edited by Nicole
Antebi,
Colin Dickey, and Robby Herbst, is the first publication from the Journal of
Aesthetics & Protest Press. This collection of essays and interviews looks
squarely at the implications of the perceived personal, public and
ideological
wreckages that ceaselessly pile up, hurl at our feet and choke our wings (to
paraphrase Walter Benjamin). Contents include a look at the afterlife of
Valerie
Solanas and her Scum Manifesto, an exploration of the Digger inspired
Morningstar Commune in Northern California which was deeded to God, a look
at
the monuments that remember forgotten mine wars in Southern Illinois, a
consideration of the finality of death and its implication for AIDS
activism,
and a series of interviews with contemporary artists. Contributors include:
Catherine Lord, Doug Harvey, Sam Green, Sam Durant, Yoshua Okon, Eduardo
Abaroa, Gabriela Jauregui, William Pope.L, Temporary Services, Assume
Vivid Astro Focus, Catherine Hollander, Zoe Trodd, David Schafer,
Richard Dedomenici, Alex Juhasz, Sarah Kanouse, Lisa Anne Auerbach,
Sarah Lewison, John Conley, and Tommy
Williford.

Lucas Michael's performance is part of a sustained project that includes a
series of drawings of title pages drawn from books with a bigoted text or
subtext. Lucas renders these drawings meticulously in graphite, signing them
with his own hand and signature, reclaiming authorial voice and rendering
each
text what it is-an object to be critically examined. In this issue of the
Journal, Lucas pairs the title page of the new age blockbuster Jonathan
Livingston Seagull with a performative reading of the novel at Skylight
books,
later adding his own signature to his renderings of the title page of the
same
subject.  Read in part as a critical examination of the dubious construction
of
community and self at the intersection of neoliberal and new age ideologies
popularized in North America in the 1970's, this time-based project also
serves
as an actively reflective response to the rhetorical call underpinning The
Journal of Aesthetics & Protest Issue 5; how do we say we?. Through Mein
Buch: A
submission, Lucas deconstructs a genre whose near exclusive focus on
affirmation
of the individual, even when speaking in the plural--ends finally as 'we can
for
us,' or alternately, 'we are all in this together: separately and each to
his
own'.

The Journal of Aesthetics & Protest is distributed by AK Press and available
in
select independent bookstores including Skylight Books.
http://www.journalofaestheticsandprotest.org/
<https://exchange1.nu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.journalofaestheticsandprotest.org/>