[Cwgrad-announcements] Colloquium Fait Accompli

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Tue Mar 20 18:40:50 PDT 2007

Hi everyone:

Ok, I'm making a decision here. Because it has to be done now, and
because I am the Decider, no matter what those sissies in the Senate
have to say:

Colloquium will be in Arts 335 on Mondays from 5-7 PM. The hour
before (4-5 PM) will be available to students who have other "student
council" business to share with the group, as suggested by Brian
Oglesby.

The colloquium is, essentially, a chance for you to read and share
your work with your fellow students and faculty.

I STRONGLY urge you all to sign up and attend. In past years, we have
all been delighted and grateful to have heard the excellent work read
by the MFA students, and we as faculty and students all got to know
each other much better, thanks to it. In fact, I am going to suggest
that it be offered in both Fall and Spring Terms, and be made
mandatory from now on for new incoming students (we can't foist it on
you guys that way because it wasn't in the rules when you signed on--
but you should consider it practically mandatory, anyway, because you
will get so much more out of the program if you attend).

I am going to try and get different faculty to sign up to "host" each
session, but even if there are one or two without faculty, you will
all profit from attending at hearing each other's work.

I am going to leave it to Carly and Gabriela to sort out who will
read each week, so contact them with your preferences.

Robin