[Cwgrad-announcements] Congratulations to Susan!

Ky-Phong Tran ky at frequentwind.com
Sat Mar 3 19:02:50 PST 2007

Our professor, friend, and mentor Susan Straight has been nominated for a Los Angeles Times Book of the Year for her novel A Million Nightingales (Pantheon, 2006).  Some of us read the novel for book club last summer and were entranced by the imagery, detail, and utter care with which she crafted her world.

I'm sure any of you that have had a class with her can attest that she is not only a great writer, but also an amazing teacher full of love, antics, joy, humor, and encouragement.  (An example of her dedication to her students:  Last week, she hand delivered a letter of recommendation for CRATE to my house at 10pm in 40-degrees and rain!)

For more info, see the UCR website:
http://www.newsroom.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/display.cgi?id=1526