[Cwgrad-announcements] FW: Boxcar Poetry Review -- Issue 6 Now Online

Amanda J Labagnara amandal at ucr.edu
Wed Jan 17 08:19:06 PST 2007

Dear Friend of Boxcar Poetry Review

Boxcar Poetry Review is pleased to announce that Issue 6 is now online at
http://www.boxcarpoetry.com <http://www.boxcarpoetry.com/>

We begin the new year with a bang.  Or perhaps a couple of fist fights.  Or
maybe with a deeper appreciation of Neruda.  Or an awareness of beauty, the
struggle for memory.  Or a lot of poets whose last name begins with "A."
You could say many of these things, but ultimately it's best to say that
we're beginning this year with fine poetry, beautiful photography,
insightful reviews, and a drawing to a close of a wonderful conversation
between two first book poets, Alexander Long and Kate Northrop.

This past year has been a rough one for many, but amidst struggle and
turmoil, there have been moments of beauty and stillness.  Outside our
windows rains and winds have blown, snow has fallen thick and heavy, but
inside we have gathered and lit candles in darkness or worked on silently by
the light of our laptops.  And the work continues.

Featured in this issue:

POETRY

Arlene Ang
Aaron Anstett

Lana Hechtman Ayers
Brent Fisk
Ann Wood Fuller
Do Gentry
Jude Goodwin
Matthew Little
Marty McConnell
Heather Salus
Erin Elizabeth Smith
Florencia Varela

Reviews
Michael Catherwood's Dare ~ reviewed by Jason Kahler
Patrick Donnelly's The Charge ~ reviewed by Tara Gorvine

Interview
Conversation Between First Book Poets: Alexander Long and Kate Northrop
(Part 2/2)

Photography
Ed Heckerman

ANNOUNCEMENTS
Boxcar Poetry Review will be launching a poetry contest in 2007.  We're
still working out some of the details, but the prize will $1000 for the best
poem which explores the theme of Elegy and Loss.  There will be a $10
reading fee for each set of poems (up to 3 poems per submission) and each
person will receive a chapbook anthology of the finalists.  The grand prize
winner will receive a check for $1000.  Reading begins in May and the
contest closes at the end of August.  We plan on announcing the winner in
November.  The contest will follow the CLMP guidelines.  Close friends and
family of Boxcar Poetry Review staff are not eligible for this contest.  All
entries will go through a blind reading.  Complete details should be up on
the website in March.

FEEDBACK & SUBMISSIONS

Like what you've read in Boxcar?  Drop the author or artist a line with your
thoughts.  Send us a word as well.  Or send us something for consideration.
In addition to poetry, we are always looking for good reviews of first books
of poetry and interviews with first book poets.  Our next issue is due out
March 15.  See website for details.

Best wishes,

Neil Aitken, Editor
Boxcar Poetry Review

PS.  If you would like to be removed from this list, please email us and
we'll remove you right away.  No one likes unwanted email -- but hopefully
this once every two months announcement is a welcome bit of news :)

Maurya Simon

Professor
Department of Creative Writing
University of California Riverside