[Cwgrad-announcements] FW: Summer Teaching Opportunities with the Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth

Amanda amandal at ucr.edu
Wed Dec 19 09:54:43 PST 2007

Subject: Summer Teaching Opportunities with the Johns Hopkins University
Center for Talented Youth

Dear Department Chair, Program Director, and/or Coordinator:

I am writing to let you know about an excellent summer employment
opportunity for your graduate and undergraduate students who are interested
in teaching writing as a career. The Johns Hopkins University Center for
Talented Youth's summer programs provide intensive course work in the
liberal arts to talented pre-collegiate students ages 8 to 18. We have a
strong writing program that includes both critical and creative writing
courses.

Details of our instructor and teaching assistant positions are below. I hope
you will take the time to forward this information to graduate and
undergraduate students in your department. If you have any questions, please
do not hesitate to get in touch with us via email at ctysummer at jhu.edu or by
calling (410) 735-6185.

Sincerely,

Boyd White
Senior Coordinator, Academic Programs

WRITING TEACHING OPPORTUNITIES
SUMMER 2008

Who:
Johns Hopkins University -  Center for Talented Youth
We seek enthusiastic writing instructors and teaching assistants to work in
our summer programs for gifted elementary, middle, and high school students.
CTY offers intense, 3-week academic programs for highly talented students
from across the country and around the world.

Where:
We have residential sites located in California, Maryland, Massachusetts,
New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island. We have day sites for
commuters located in the Baltimore, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and San
Diego areas.

When:
Session 1: June 26 - July 19
Session 2: July 19 - August 9
Instructors and teaching assistants can work one or two sessions.

Why:
CTY staff work with exceptional students, make contacts and friendships with
dynamic colleagues, and gain valuable teaching experience in a rigorous
academic setting.

Courses:
CTY offers critical and creative writing courses ranging from Stories and
Poems (2nd and 3rd grades) to The Critical Essay: Popular Culture (7th grade
and above) to The Crafting of Fiction (7th grade and above). For a complete
list of writing courses, including course descriptions and sample syllabi,
please visit www.cty.jhu.edu/summer/employment/writing.html. New courses
this year include The Critical Essay: Film (7th grade and above).

Salary:
Instructors start at $2,100 to $3,000 per 3-week session.
Teaching assistants start at $1,100 per 3-week session.
Room and board is provided at our residential sites.

TO DOWNLOAD AN APPLICATION AND LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR PROGRAMS AND SITES:
Please visit www.cty.jhu.edu/summer/employment, or contact us at (410)
735-6185 or ctysummer at jhu.edu.

Johns Hopkins University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.