[Cwgrad-announcements] off-campus readings/relationships with other community institutions

Ching-In Chen chinginchen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 12:09:48 PST 2007

Hello CW friends!

I have been working with Gaby to investigate possibilities of off-campus
readings & other types of opportunities for students with community
institutions.

Here is an update (& more to come hopefully):
*
COFFEE DEPOT:*
** I talked to Jeff, the owner of the Coffee Depot.  He's very nice, is a
poet himself & open to doing something at the space which currently does not
consistently have a poetry night.  The rooms where they have events are
usually --  a room downstairs which is pretty big where bands play & then a
smaller room upstairs.  He rents them out but also is open to not charging
especially for stuff like poetry events.  But the caveat is that the
organizers would have to fill the place with their own people (downstairs'
capacity is 45 people who buy drinks) & the upstairs is smaller.  We were
talking a more regular type of ongoing program, but he might be open in
doing something on a non-regular basis too.  I don't have the capacity to
run a regular type of reading series & open mic, but if anybody is
interested, let me know & I can put you in touch with him.  He told me that
his schedule (especially for the room downstairs) fills up pretty quickly,
mostly used for music events.

*RIVERSIDE PUBLIC LIBRARY:*
** I had a meeting with Marion, who does cultural programming at the
Riverside Public Library, much of through the Inlandia Institute, which is a
collaboration between Heyday Books and the library and promotes Inland
Empire authors & literature/arts having to do with the Inland Empire.

A few possibilities/opportunities --
** internships:
-- working with producing online content for the Inlandia blog (entailing
working with other local writers, also possibly an online writers' workshop,
doing recordings of local writers etc)
-- she's interested in producing some type of writers' drop-in space or
having some type of writers' type gathering  (Also, they
have an auditorium with AV equipment so I suggested to her that it might be
a good space to do a multi-genre type of open mic/gathering, with the option
of incorporating film etc)

** CRATE:
The library currently does a night of readings with MUSE, the literary
journal at RCC.  She sounded interested in doing a night  with CRATE as a
way to promote emerging writers from UCR.  There might be other
opportunities to plug in emerging writers, but that's about as far as we got
during the meeting.  They're open, but the schedule does fill up in advance
(the calendar is programming through next spring right now).

** There might also be opportunities to work with the teen programming
department, especially around working with the youth there.

>> Please let me know especially if you're interested in interning or CRATE
people & I can pass on her contact info.

That's about as far as I got this quarter, but next quarter, I'm looking to
connect with some other institutions.

Hope everyone is well!

xoxo,
Ching-In