[Cwgrad-announcements] Re: FW: Occupational hazards

Charles Whitney chuck.whitney at ucr.edu
Wed Apr 18 14:10:20 PDT 2007

See below:

I am sure new campus policies are on the way:  In
the interim, the phone number for the Counseling
Center is 2-5531; the center recommends, if you
have a profoundly upset student, that you offer
to walk them over to the center (office hours are
8-5 M-F).  If the student refuses to go to the
counseling center AND if you believe the student
represents a risk to himself/herself and/or
others, call the campus police at 2-5222; if
they're being disruptive or if you believe
imminent harm is possible, do not hesitate:  call
911.  The counseling center website is
http://counseling.ucr.edu/. The website has a
list of other places to refer students:
http://counseling.ucr.edu/Resources/Emergency+Information.htm
It also has a brochure, 'Assisting the
Emotionally Distressed Student: A Guide to
Faculty and Staff," free for the asking.  I have
a copy if anybody wants to borrow for a quick read.

At 01:13 PM 4/18/2007, Amanda J Labagnara wrote:

>Dear All,
>

>This article, from today's LA Times, brought
>back memories of a frightening, volatile, and
>intimidating student we had some years ago in
>CRWT.  This student was much like Cho, and it's
>scary how similarly I (and other of our CRWT
>faculty) dealt with him in the ways described in
>the article.  If anything "good" comes of this
>terrible tragedy, may it be that colleges and
>universities immeditately institute some
>effective programs to closely track, counsel,
>and closely monitor disturbed and potentially violent students--
>
>"Well-known poet Nikki Giovanni, who taught him
>creative writing, observed him in the class with
>dark sunglasses and a ball cap jammed down over
>his face. He turned in assignments she found
>disturbing. Sometimes he snapped unwanted
>cellphone photos of classmates. Students stopped
>showing up for class, telling her, "The guy's
>really creepy." At one point she had guards stationed nearby.
>

>Several students and professors who had seen
>Cho's poetry, plays and fiction from 2005
>described it as filled with graphic violence.
>
>Lucinda Roy, chairwoman of the English
>department, worried about his stability and
>urged him to seek counseling at the school. He apparently did not.
>
>Giovanni, the former creative writing
>instructor, said she took some of Cho's writing
>to Roy and told her that she could no longer teach him.
>
>"I couldn't allow him to destroy my class," she said.
>
>Roy agreed to teach Cho in a private tutorial setting, Giovanni said.
>
>Roy gave Cho an A for the semester. Giovanni
>thinks he got the grade not for talent or
>effort, but because he was "intimidating" ­ and
>that it was decided it was best to keep him
>happy.  (Pamala's personal comment:  Tell it,
>Nikki!  Amen, amen!  Only one life to live!!!)
>
>"I think he liked the idea that he was a scary
>guy," Giovanni said. "Some people like that.
>That's how they define themselves."
>
>Maurya Simon
>
>Professor
>Department of Creative Writing
>University of California Riverside
>900 University Avenue
>Riverside, CA 92521-0318
>
>TEL. (951) 827-2006 (office)
>
>FAX: (951) 827-3619

D. Charles Whitney, Professor and Chair, Creative
Writing; Professor of Sociology
Department of Creative Writing, 1607 HMNSS
University of California , 900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA  92521-0118 951.827.6076 / Fax 951.827.3619

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. - Albert Einstein