[Cwgrad-announcements] NonFiction Reading and Interview tomorrow!!!!

Gabriela Jauregui gabrielajauregui at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 15:21:06 PDT 2007

Dear Students,
In case some of you didn't get my email on the student-only list-serv,
here goes a shorter version:
Tomorrow, Reza Aslan is visiting (see attached schedule).  Please not
he will be reading at 11 in HMNSS 2412 and then will have time to meet
with students at 1:30 for a Q&A/INterview session with us.  This is a
great opportunity to meet one the candidates who will be coming and
ask him any questions we might have about his teaching
methods/experience, what his approach to non-fiction is etc.
Another reminder: Gregory Orfalea and Elmaz Abinader will be reading
and holding Q&A sessions on wed. and thur. respecively at 10 (reading
) and 11 (Interviews with Grad Students) in the same room.
It is *extremely* important that we attend as many as these as
possible and that they be WELL attended so that faculty can take our
opinion seriously when we are asked which candidates we think are best
and why!
Hope to see you there!
(please see Reza Aslan's bio below, in case you don't listen to him on
NPR or watch him CBS!)
Best,
Gaby

Reza Aslan, an internationally acclaimed writer and scholar of
religions, is a regular commentator for NPR's Marketplace and Middle
East Analyst for CBS News.

He holds a Bachelor of Arts in Religion from Santa Clara University, a
Master of
Theological Studies from Harvard University, a Master of Fine Arts in
Fiction from the
University of Iowa, and is currently a Doctoral Candidate in Sociology
of Religions at the
University of California, Santa Barbara. '"

He has served as a legislative assistant for the Friends' Committee on
National Legislation in Washington D.C., and was elected president of
Harvard's Chapter of the World Conference on Religion and Peace, a
United Nations Organization committed to solving religious conflicts
throughout the world. He is a member of the Los Angeles Institute for
the Humanities and serves on advisory boards of both the Council of
Foreign Relations and the Ploughshares Fund, which distributes grants
to further peace and diplomacy throughout the world.

Until recently, he was both Visiting Assistant Professor of Islamic
and Middle East Studies at the University of Iowa and the Truman
Capote Fellow in Fiction at the Iowa Writers' Workshop.

He has written for the Los Angeles Times, the New York Times, Slate,
Boston Globe, the Washington Post, the Guardian, Chicago Tribune, the
Nation, and others, and has appeared on Meet The Press, Hardball, The
Daily Show, Real Time with Bill Maher, The Colbert Report, Anderson
Cooper, and Nightline.

His first book, No god but God: The Origins, Evolution, and Future of
Islam has been translated into half a dozen languages, was
short-listed for the Guardian (UK) First Book Award, and nominated for
a PEN USA award for research Non-Fiction.

Born in Iran, he now lives in Santa Monica, Ca, where he is a Research
Associate at the University of Southern California's Center on Public
Diplomacy. His next book, How to Win a Cosmic War: Why We 're Losing
the War on Terror will be published by Random House in the Fall of
2008.