[Cwgrad-announcements] First assignment for THEA 266: Screenwriting workshop - Due on first day of class!

Paul Michael Leonardo Atienza mike.atienza at ucr.edu
Mon Sep 25 09:43:05 PDT 2006

From: StuRoGus at aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:07:27 EDT
Subject: My first assignment

Screenwriting 266A/Fall 2006
Professor: Stu Krieger

ASSIGNMENT #1
Due in the first class on Tuesday October 2

PART ONE:
Please write a one page paper on a specific feature film that made a major
impression on you. It must be a movie that you HAVE NOT SEEN IN AT LEAST
FIVE YEARS, yet still resonates for you on some visceral and emotional level.

Describe why it touched you, what (if any) impact it had on your decision
to pursue a film-writing career. Cite the particular scenes, images and
characters that have stayed with you. I don't want to know your impressions
of the film-making techniques, camera angles, locations or casting choices.
I am interested in hearing about your connections to the story and the way
it was told. What surprised, amazed, amused or enlightened you? What did
this film make you realize about the human condition that you had never
quite looked at in the same way previously? Be as specific and articulate
as possible. Who were the most memorable characters? What about them
impressed or touched you? Is this a film you consider to be one of your
all-time favorites? Why or why not.

PART TWO:
Bring at least two, (three is okay if you're brimming with ideas) concepts
for the film you want write in this class. Break each idea into three
clear, concise paragraphs, one for each of the three acts of your story,
representing the beginning, middle and end. I don't want log-lines or mere
concepts - I want you to be thinking about STORIES that can sustain an
entire 90-110 page screenplay.

It is very important that these be NEW IDEAS, not ones from scripts you
have already been at work on. To get the most out of this class, it helps
if we're all on the same page in developing, fleshing out and executing the
stories and scripts together. Since this is only a ten week course, it's
important that we hit the ground running. The more thought you can put into
these stories before the start of class, the more productive our time will
be. Be prepared to read both part one and part two of your assignments out
loud in class to facilitate our discussion. In future weeks, you’ll be
e-mailing your work to me and your fellow students in advance of class, but
for the opening week, I want to give you the extra time to really focus on
the assignment, without having to worry about getting it in ahead of time.

I look forward to meeting all of you on October 2.
Best,
Stu

Mike Atienza
Student Services