[Cwgrad-announcements] RE:VERY IMPORTANT - VITAL - Please Read

cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu
Thu Sep 14 11:15:32 PDT 2006

Greetings Everyone,

First off, to the newly enlisted second years - hell yes - congratulations
you deserve it; love, respect and adulation to each and everyone of you.
You all and of course I will be receiving our very own degree that reads:
Creative Writing/ Writing For The Performing Arts.  I'm very excited for all
of us in this regard.  This is a question, well honestly, it's more of an
issue (here goes the neighborhood)  - please think about this.  This is a
new program, yes we understand this, all well and said, yes y los profesoras
son excelentes.

But, and here is the issue (finally).

When you go onto GROWL (rrrrrrr!!) and do a degree check - why does it only
show that we have a Major: Creative Writing for the Performing Arts and no
Concentration?  This is very serious.  When you get your degree it will only
read: Creative Writing/Writing for the Performing Arts.  It will not have a
concentration listed on it.  Lets say you are a Poet following the Poetry
guideline concentration track.  Nope, there is no Poetry concentration,
there's a Creative Writing track listed, no Poetry among the many listed in
the concentration section.  If you are in Fiction writer, Screenwriting,
Playwriting or both, no, no concentration among the many are listed.

Okay fine, if we do not have concentrations why are we made to choose a
concentration (Fiction, Playwriting, Screenwriting, Non-Fiction, Poetry)?
Why can't we just do four of any classes, do a multi-faceted Thesis and be
done with the degree within a one-year?  Some of us that are second years
won't be making it back because of money, sadly - or they've drop twenty
thousand in loans for year two, pity.  My writing you all is not to cause
confusion, more so I am trying to bring I believe a very important issue to
the light.

As an adult - we all have the ability to seek alternative funding,
participate in writing competitions and the like, but this is not the issue.
  The issue is, when we got the Fellowships to come here (thank you) - if
there are no concentrations to be had in this degree program, most of us
could have finished this degree program in one years time.  But no, it's
dragged out to two and with no recognized concentrations, this is a serious
issue 'B' (lol).  We are here for two years working very hard to achieve our
Degrees in Creative Writing/ Writing For The Performing Arts, no
concentration - wow.

Go onto Growl do a degree check - I've done it several times - dismayed
behind the fact that, I have chosen a track (Screenwriting/Playwriting) and
I am working very hard at it, but when I get my degree - that will not be
listed.  None of our chosen concentrations will be listed and here we are,
"I'm this I'm that, but they all just wick wick wack - wick wack.  I'm not
red or white or black I'm brown from the Boogie Down -- Productions," who
said that?  Yo KRS-One!  (Okay, Idrissa back to it) Look at the bright side
- you could be considered as a jack of all trades, the person who writes,
fiction, poetry, non-fiction, screenplays and stage plays, exceptionally
well, but unfortunately this is not what we are here to actually do.  We are
here to select a blank Concentration within this Major and succeed at it
exceptionally well.  If you really want to get to it, some of us may have
enough credit to select a Minor within our Majors.

WE SHOULD HAVE THAT OPTION AND THOSE OPTIONS SHOULD BE RECOGNIZED ON PAPER,
THE DEGREE WHEN WE GRADUATE FROM ---- UCR (go Highlanders).  Side note, our
teams are actually cool - for me I prefer women's basketball and soccer, go
support!

Maybe this is a wasted email and I am over-exaggerating my feelings on the
subject - NOT!!  This new program where bugs must be worked out.  I am
simply presenting what I perceive to be a major bug.  This an issue that
needs concentration (lol), talked about, and tackled, we deserve it.  I'm
not saying the University is being underhanded - no one wants to be called
names - but this situation is sketchy.

I raise hell because I love you - and there is nothing you can do about it -

Once again to all of you second years, love your work and lets finish this
program strongly - to the newcomers - - welcome to the Desert.

Idrissa
2nd Year - Screenwriting/Playwrighting