[Cwgrad-announcements] re: Comparative Drama Conference 10 minute play submissions!

cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu
Thu Sep 7 08:32:47 PDT 2006

Hello Everyone,
Yesterday, an announcement came down over the grad listserve about the
upcoming Comparative Drama Conference, which will be held in late March, locally, at
Loyola Marymount University. I have corresponded with Dr. Kevin Wetmore of
LMU regarding a proposal about bringing 10 minute plays by both STUDENTS AND
FACULTY for a staged reading. Wetmore wrote, "a staged reading of 4-6 ten minute
plays might be most welcomed."
Some may ask why conference participation would be be a good thing.  First
and foremost, because you'll be able to present new work to a fresh group of
artists and scholars for feedback, secondly you will make contacts with others
who are at colleges and universities across the country, and internationally.
This might help with securing future work in a variety of... you get the idea.
I WILL PUT THE PROPOSAL PACKAGE TOGETHER.Your mission, should you choose to
accept is---
E-mail me an attachement, either in Word or PDF of one sheet which includes
your name, title, character list, a short 200ish word summary of your 10 minute
play and a short 100ish word rational for wanting the play read, which should
be somewhat educational.
Example: Your play's never been staged before and you would like feedback
from artists and scholars. Or-- your play presents themes that are relevant to
larger issues in the theatre and the conference in specific. This year's keynote
address is about "Chicano Theatre in a Society in Crisis."
With regards to actors/staging - we would be welcome to bring our own actors
or recruit conference participants to read. Don't have more specifics yet.
If I receive more than 6 play summaries for submission, I will forward them
to the powers that be, and let them choose. Although the deadline for
submission is not until early December, I'd like to do most of the work on this in the
next month or two, before the fall quarter becomes crunchy.
Best,
Val Stulman
Questions: Vstulman at aol.com, 818.399-0571.