[Cwgrad-announcements] FW: poetry reading at dACenter.org

Amanda J Labagnara amandal at ucr.edu
Fri Oct 27 13:10:36 PDT 2006

Dear Friends and Fellow Poets,

We are presenting an exciting reading by Victoria Chang, followed by a
reception, book signing, and open mic at the dA Center for the Arts in
Pomona on November 5th.  To give you a sample of the wonderful poetry you
will hear, one of Ms. Chang's poems printed in the New England Review
appears below. Hope to see you there! --Wendy Herbert, dA Center

Free Poetry Reading*
Sunday, November 5, 2 pm
VICTORIA CHANG
Reception & Book Signing followed by an open mic at 3:30 (sign-ups at 1:45,
$5)

Victoria Chang's first book of poetry, Circle, won the Crab Orchard Review
Award Series in Poetry, published by Southern Illinois University Press and
was a Finalist for the 2005 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Award. Her
poems have appeared in or are forthcoming in journals such as The Nation,
Poetry, The New Republic, Threepenny Review, Kenyon Review, Virginia
Quarterly Review, Slate, Ploughshares, Triquarterly, and Best American
Poetry 2005. She is the editor of an anthology titled: Asian American
Poetry: The Next Generation, published by The University of Illinois Press.
She has degrees from the University of Michigan, Harvard, and Stanford. She
resides in Los Angeles and is attending the Ph.D. program in Literature and
Creative Writing at USC.

 The dA Center for the Arts
252-D South Main Street . Pomona CA 91766-1630 . tel: 909.397.9716 . fax:
909.629.8697 . info at dacenter.org
<http://by118fd.bay118.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/compose?mailto=1&msg=0ACC87F2
-B2D1-4D44-96E4-CD7FA9AFE619&start=0&len=4095&src=&type=x&to=info at dacenter.o
rg&cc=&bcc=&subject=&body=&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=ed
b2100c68d2dca703aae071d4acb2b2f1e0a937e637f9bce0191ad07edabda8>  Directions
on the Center's Web site:  http://www.dacenter.org/contact.html

YANG GUI-FEI

During the end of the Tang Dynasty (618-907 A.D.)

Surely you know I will rule your besieged kingdom in the afterlife,
build the rivers so they flow into a great bath,

populate the land with plum trees, foliate the skies
with golden birds.

Once I was more than a woman, more than a gold hair-pin,
more than three thousand bathing concubines.

Once the soldiers followed the scents of my long braiding curls,
cording around my neck.

They followed a peeling leader who trailed me the way
a buzzard steals breath from the dying.

Surely you know that on this slope, aspens and spruce
will eventually be wrapped in fencing,

honeysuckles hung with mesh, petunias draped
by a stockade fence. The tethered animals

will go round and round a tree until they strangle themselves.
My body will hang without its shadow.

  _____

All-in-one security <http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2752??PS=47575>  and
maintenance for your PC.  Get a free 90-day trial!

Maurya Simon

Professor
Department of Creative Writing
University of California Riverside