[Cwgrad-announcements] please help

Courtney Santos csant002 at student.ucr.edu
Wed Nov 8 17:34:33 PST 2006

Dear fellow graduate students,

At the risk of sounding like an old-fashioned fuddy-duddy...  I'll stick my third-year nose where it doesn't belong (as I'm no longer enrolled in conventional courses).

In my day, students approached the professor whose course they were curious about and said, "Hey, I was thinking about taking a class with you.  What books are you teaching from (or what craft techniques do you typically emphasize)?"  Generally (though I'm not suggesting flattery, no, no, never), the profs are pretty happy if you show interest in their endeavors to share their favorite books or writing passions with students.  This is also a great opportunity to start talking one-on-one about your thesis project ideas and get feedback on which courses will help you most.

In my first year I was always terrified to do this, being the sort of person who hides behind an email address, but I'll tell you, there's no substitute for personal contact.  However, if you must use email, I find that in my experiences as a student and also as a secretary that a personalized note always gets better results than a general notice sent out to multiple addressees.

Good luck on getting your course list.  I truly feel for your desire to plan ahead and get the most out of the MFA experience.  Those two years go fast.

And if I might throw in two more cents, don't spend too much time stressing over your choices.  Every professor in our department is here because they have something to offer to each of you.  I never regretted taking ANY Creative Writing course (though I certainly regretted a choice I made from the English department list that you hold in such esteem.)

Courtney

Courtney Santos
courtney.santos at email.ucr.edu
Graduate Student, Creative Writing and