[Cwgrad-announcements] Re: the MFA letter addressing suggestions for improvements

cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu
Tue May 30 09:43:08 PDT 2006

To John and all the MFA co-signers:

Thank you for your excellent and thoughtful letter. I can tell you
that I agree with all the stated goals; some appear to be more
possible than others.

1) Limit workshop size: as you know, both Rickerby and I strongly
agree with this, and this is why we split the 264 between us this
term. We will continue to address this problem as best we can; the
one thing we want to avoid is closing the workshops to students who
really need them, as is sometimes the case you've encountered with
seminars in the English department, etc.

2) logistics: again, with Eric Barr's support, Kerby and I have
already altered the previous twice-weekly schedule for the 266 and
264 to a once a week, three hour class. I expect that will remain a
constant from now on. As to releasing the schedule earlier, to some
degree that is a matter of coordination with the other departments
and their use of classrooms. We will do what we can.

3) Third year funded option: I would love this; not sure it's in the
cards for the near future. Right now we are struggling to get just
the second year financial issues addressed, but we will (and have)
certainly try to get as much money as possible for those who need it.

4) Comprehensive funding strategy: it may not look like it, but we
are trying hard. A number of TA positions were taken away from us by
the university, which we are trying to get back. It also depends on
undergraduate enrollment numbers, which change from year to year. I
have also contacted the graduate division to see if the kind of
support first year students get can be extended to second year
students as well, but have not heard back.