[Cwgrad-announcements] FW: fall classes

cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu
Tue Jul 25 08:17:21 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: susan straight [mailto:gailarose at yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:04 AM
To: amandal at ucr.edu
Cc: charles.whitney at ucr.edu
Subject: fall classes

Amanda,
Can you please forward this to all the graduate
students to help them with their questions about these
courses?  Thanks very much,
Professor Susan Straight

CREATIVE WRITING 246:  Special Topics in Fiction

Working Class Fiction

For this course, we?ll look at how work is
inextricably entwined with life in modern and
contemporary writers who focus on working class
characters in novels and short fiction.  Some of the
books:  The Stories of Breece D?J Pancake, Plainsong ?
Kent Haruf, Of Love and Dust ? Ernest Gaines, and
others.

We?ll write short papers on each book, and one long
paper on a book of your choice.

CREATIVE WRITING 252G:  Theory and Craft of Writing ?
Nonfiction

For this course, we?ll focus on craft and style in
contemporary nonfiction, in several different genres
and forms.  We?ll read essay collections, memoir,
magazine pieces, personal essays, topical essays, and
discuss each genre.  Some of the books:  Slouching
Toward Bethlehem ? Joan Didion, The Best of Creative
Non-Fiction ? ed. Lee Gutkind, This Boy?s Life ?
Tobias Wolff.  Also various magazines and journals.

We?ll write short papers as well as one long personal
essay or memoir or topical piece.