[Cwgrad-announcements] Palm Springs Film Festival

cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu
Wed Jan 4 13:50:59 PST 2006

Just a note to let you know that the Palm Springs
International Film Festival begins tomorrow January 5 and
runs throught January 16.  There are many many many films
from USA and around the world in this 17th year of the
festival.

There are a couple of special showings with tickets
available to students.  I ahve tickets to the Tuesday
January 10 5pm showing of Salvador Allende by Patricio
Guzman.  Guzman (The Battle of Chile) offers this personal
reflection on General Pinochet's violent coup d'etat that
overthrew President Allende on September 11, 1973."

The Friday, January 13 1pm showing of Border Cafe by
Kambozia Partovi.  "A widow's efforts to run a truck-stop
diner near the Iran-Turkey border becomes a lesson in
stifling patriarchy.  A strong script, nuanced acting and a
sharply dilineated sociopolitical sense make it as enjoyable
as it is intelligent."

Let me know if you are interested in tickets for either of
these events.

For more informationon the festival you can go to
www.psfilmfest.org