[Cwgrad-announcements] KAYA Press Needs our help!

Gabriela Jauregui gabrielajauregui at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 08:50:42 PST 2006

Dear All,
Kaya press is in a bit of a financial pinch, and Sunyoung, the editor
and my friend who many of you have met, sent this e-mail... She said
any amoutn no matter how little would eb very helpful right now.  I
know some of you have enjoyed the wonderful and ground-breaking Kaya
poetry anthology in addition to some of the recent publications she
mentions here...
This is Kaya's website http://www.kaya.com/  in case you'd like to
browse through their amazing collection of publcished works (yes, they
were the first to publish Kimiko Hahn, no less and have published
Sesshu Foster and many other amazing writers).
Best to all in 2007!
Gaby

Over the past several years, Kaya has continued to publish the highest
quality of innovative Asian diasporic fiction, poetry, and critical
non-fiction, including Ishle Yi Park's The Temperature of This Water
(which won a PEN Open Books Beyond Margins Award among other honors),
Maps of City & Body, a collection of performance art pieces by
award-winning Denise Uyehara, and Beat Takeshi vs. Takeshi Kitano by
Casio Abe, the first English-language title devoted exclusively to the
work of Takeshi Kitano to be published in the US as well as one of the
only examples of Japanese film criticism available in the US.

This coming year's books include two books of poetry, America and
Other Poems, poetry translated from the Japanese by Ayukawa Nobuo, and
Lisa Chen's first collection of poetry, Mouth. We've also just signed
Brian Castro, whose fictional autobiography Shanghai Dancing has been
awarded some of Australia's most prestigious literary awards. All
three books will be published in Spring 2007.

Next year, we also plan to publish two new titles: Ed Lin's new murder
mystery novel set in New York's Chinatown, and writings by legendary
Japanese documentary filmmaker Hara Kazuo entitled In-Your-Face
Cinema.

To bring these wonderful new titles into print, we need your support.
We were lucky enough to get grants this year from the New York State
Council on the Arts and from the National Endowment of the Arts, but
we need the help of people like you to continue to survive. As you
know, Kaya is an entirely volunteer-run organization.

All donations will be tax-deductible, and any amount at all would
help. Checks can be made out to "Muae Publishing" — the official name
of Kaya Press -- and can be mailed to Attn: Sunyoung Lee, Muae
Publishing, 2650 Durant Ave #SL-G9, Berkeley, CA 94720-2274.

I know that it's getting close to the end of the year, but if you date
the check before January 1st, we will make sure to get you your
tax-deductible donation letter as soon as possible, so you can still
submit it for 2006.

Thank you as always for your support.

Happy new year!

Best,