[Cwgrad-announcements] English Seminar Listing and Procedure for W'07 Enrollment

cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu
Thu Oct 27 13:31:14 PDT 2005

Dear MFAs,

The English seminar offerings for next quarter are below, and you have to
enroll next week.  Please note that the English department's policy requires
that all seminar enrollments must first be approved by the English
department's faculty graduate advisor, Professor Steven Axelrod (see further
information and form below).

Once permission is granted by Professor Axelrod, you may sign up through
GROWL during the pre-registration period beginning November 4.

Here is the letter from Tina Feldmann in the English Department---please
read it carefully:

While first priority must be given to English graduate students, we
recognize the need and interest of graduate students outside our
department, and in that spirit, we are happy to notify interested graduate
students of the remaining seminar spaces if they will send their seminar
preference email to Professor Axelrod in part II, listed below).    We are
including 7 of the 9 course descriptions at the bottom of this email.  When
the other 2 course descriptions arrive, we'll send those to you immediately.

When a student is given permission to enroll in the seminar, their place is
reserved, therefore, we ask that any student that changes their mind and no
longer wishes to enroll in the class, to please notify Professor Axelrod,
by email, so that he can then make that enrollment slot available to
another student.

Thank you.

Tina

NOTE:   This email has 3 parts.

Part I   -- The seminar listing.
Part II --  The seminar preference form that should be sent to Professor
Axelrod
Part III -- The seminar course descriptions to assist students in
completing Part II.

---------------

Part I  (the seminar listing) --

                                 WINTER '06 GRADUATE COURSES as of 10/26/05
MONDAY

English 264-001 - Seminar in 18th Century
12:10 pm - 3:00 pm in HMNSS 1502  (George Haggerty)

English 273-002 - Seminar in Cultural Studies
5:10 - 8:00 pm in HMNSS 1407 (Toby Miller & Ellen Wartella)

TUESDAY
English 275-001 - Seminar Film and Visual Cultures
2:10 - 5:00 pm in OLMH 1132  (Michelle Raheja)

Screening for English 275
6:10 - 9:00 pm in SPR 2212   (Michelle Raheja)

English 273-001 - Seminar in Cultural Studies
5:10 - 8:00 pm in HMNSS 1407  (Vorris Nunley)

WEDNESDAY

English 281-001  - Seminar in Comparative Studies
2:10 - 5:00 pm in HMNSS 1407 (Stanley Stewart)

English 270-001 - Seminar in American Literature since 1900
5:10 - 8:00 pm in HMNSS 1407  (Steve Axelrod)

THURSDAY
English 262-001 - Seminar in Renaissance Literature
2:10 - 5:00 pm in OLMH 1126 (John Briggs)

English 260-001  - Seminar in Medieval Literature
5:10 - 8:00 pm in OLMH 1126 (Andrea Denny-Brown)

FRIDAY
English 268-001 - Seminar in British Literature since 1900
2:10 - 5:00 pm in HMNS 1407  (Kim Devlin)

-----------------

Part II (This seminar preference form must be sent to
steven.axelrod at ucr.edu.)

>Seminar Preference Form for Winter Quarter, 2006
>
>This form is only necessary for students wishing to take English
>Department graduate seminars in winter 2006. Please indicate the courses
>that you would prefer to take, and email this form back to me by 3:00 PM
>on Thursday, November 3.
>
>Forms received before that time will receive first priority. Forms
>received after that time will get second priority. I will email seminar
>rosters to everyone on the evening of November 3. Pre-registration begins
>at 8:00 AM on Friday, November 4.
>
>If you wish to take two English Department seminars, you must fill out at
>least four choices. If you wish to take only one English Department
>seminar, you should fill out at least two choices.
>
>You will have received all your seminar descriptions by 10 AM on Tuesday,
>November 1. You will have nine English seminars to choose from: 260
>(Medieval with A. Denny-Brown), 262 (Renaissance with J. Briggs), 264
>(Eighteenth Century with G. Haggerty), 268 (Modern British with K.
>Devlin), 270 (Modern American with S. Axelrod), 273-01 (Cultural Studies
>with V. Nunley), 273-02 (Cultural Studies with T. Miller & E. Wartella),
>275 (Film with M. Raheja), and 281 (Comparative Studies with S. Stewart).
>I would be happy to discuss your options with you via email, office visit,
>or phone call.
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Steve Axelrod
>Director of Graduate Studies

>Your department:
>
>This quarter you are (place X after year):
>MA1    MA2    PhD1    PhD2    PhD3    PhD4
>
>Your areas of specialization (2 or 3):
>
>Number of English Department seminars you want (1 or 2):
>
>1st Choice:     English______ with Professor _____________.
>
>2nd Choice:     English______ with Professor _____________.
>
>3rd Choice:     English______ with Professor _____________.
>
>4th Choice:     English______ with Professor _____________.
>
>5th Choice:     English______ with Professor _____________.
>

>________________________  ___________    ________________________
>
>                 Your
> Name                       Date                    Email Address
>

>Steven Gould Axelrod
>Professor of English
>Director of Graduate Studies
>Chair, Committee on Committees
>University of California
>Riverside, CA 92521
>steven.axelrod at ucr.edu
>951 780 5653 (home phone)

----------------

Part III  (course descriptions)    TWO ARE FORTHCOMING

English 262-001 -- Seminar in Renaissance Literature (John Briggs)    W'06

>>      This winter, the Renaissance Seminar will study Shakespearean
>> catharsis in comedy, tragedy, and romance (an implicitly in satire that
>> shades into these three).  We will also be concerned with the
>> ramifications of our findings for a reassessment of the place of theory
>> and aesthetic criticism in English studies.  We will read Twelfth Night,
>> Lear, Winter's Tale, and several problem plays (probably All's Well and
>> perhaps Troilus and Cressida).

>Steven Axelrod
>English 270
>Winter 2006
>
>This seminar will focus on postmodernism. We will read works in a wide
>variety of genres, including poetry, fiction, drama, and theory. We will
>read such authors as Sylvia Plath, John Ashbery, Kathy Acker, John Yau, Ana
>Menendez, Harryette Mullen, Paul Auster, Amy Gerstler, Rae Armantrout,
>Susan
>Howe, Nathaniel Mackey, Cherrie Moraga, Sarah Kane, and Trinh Min-ha. We
>will consider new ways texts are being constructed these days and their
>compliant and resistant relations to both contemporary history and literary
>tradition. Seminar requirements: oral participation; two oral reports; and
>one seminar paper on a topic of your choice.
>
>Does anyone know
>which tradition
>we are trying to access? -Rae Armantrout

Here's Professor Devlin's course description:

>ENGLISH 268: A survey of 20th Century British fiction, inaugurated by an
>influential late 19th century "pretext"--Ibsen's A Doll House (Signet,
>0-451-51939-6)--widely translated and almost immediately infamous for its
>"door slam heard round the world."  We will then read Joyce's Dubliners
>(Norton Critical Edition, due out in November 2005), Conrad's Heart of
>Darkness (the new 4th Norton Critical Edition), his later--and more
>bizarre--novel The Secret Agent (Penguin, 0-14-018096-6), Forster's
>Howards End (Bedford, 030-312-11182-7), Woolf's The Waves (Harcourt Brace
>Jonanovich, 0-15-694960-1), Waugh's A Handful of Dust (Little, Brown,
>0-316-92605-1), and Fowles' The French Lieutenant's Woman (Signet,
>0-451-11095-1).  Topics for discussion are open, but will (in general)
>include the representations of women and their various "roles" (in both
>senses of the word); of imperialism and colonized regions; of shifting
>class structures; of the influence of childhood on "mature" selfhood; and,
>in many texts, modernism's obsession with the past--its recurrent
>"backward glance."  M.A students will be required to write a 12-15 page
>paper, Ph.D. students an 18-25 page one.

Engl. 260: Medieval Knighthood and the Artifice of Masculinity
Instructor: Andrea Denny-Brown
<mailto:andreadb at ucr.edu>andreadb at ucr.edu

"A man without arms has no right to speak."  Béroul, Tristan

This course will investigate the perceptions of masculinity that develop
around the concept of knighthood in the European Middle Ages.  We will
combine readings in medieval literature with recent theoretical work,
focusing on the masculine care of the self and the body by way of the
following subjects: technological and cultural changes in arms and armor;
battle plunder and violence; women's love tokens integrated into knightly
attire; chivalry and self-presentation; beards, body hair, and hair cuts;
Christ as knight; knightly dressing and cross-dressing; disguise and
jousting; the emergence of the "gallant" or dandy; and the economics and
aesthetics of heraldry.  Literary materials will range from early crusader
epics through Arthurian romances, historical chronicles, and chivalric
manuals, and will finish with the famous parodies of medieval knighthood in
Spenser, Cervantes, and Monty Python.  Theoretical texts will include
Michel Foucault, Klaus Theweleit, Kaja Silverman, and Eve Sedgwick, among
others, along with a variety of other cultural texts and
materials.  Although this course centers on pre-modern constructions of
masculinity, it will attempt to ground students in theoretical approaches
and concepts which are applicable to the study of periods and cultures
other than the Middle Ages.
No knowledge if Middle English necessary.

Required Texts:
Please purchase texts through Amazon or other booksellers prior to our
first meeting; texts will also be on reserve at Rivera.  Please read the
Song of Roland for our first class.

Song of Roland, trans. Glyn S. Burgess (Penguin Classics)
Guillaume d'Orange: Four Twelfth Century Epics, trans. Joan M. Ferrante

Four Romances of England: King Horn, Havelok the Dane, Bevis of Hampton,
Athelston

(TEAMS Middle English Texts), eds
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=Ronald%20B.%20Herzman&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/103-4812090-5403031>Ronald
B. Herzman,
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=Graham%20Drake&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/103-4812090-5403031>Graham
Drake,
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=Eve%20Salisbury&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/103-4812090-5403031>Eve
Salisbury.

Please note this edition is also online.

Ramon Llul, Book of Knighthood and Chivalry: With the Anonymous Ordene De
Chevalerie,
             ed & trans., Brian R. Price.
Geoffroi de Charny, Book of Chivalry, trans.  Richard W. Kaeuper and
Elspeth Kennedy
Christine de Pizan, Book of Deeds of Arms and Chivalry, trans. Sumner
Willard
Heldris of Cornwall, Silence: A Thirteenth-Century French Romance, trans.
Sarah Roche-Mahdi
Jean Foissart, Chronicles, trans. Geoffrey Brereton (Penguin Classics)

Thomas Malory, King Arthur and His Knights: Selected Tales, ed. Eugene
Vinaver (Oxford UP;
Galaxy)

Chrétien de Troyes, Lancelot, or The Knight of the Cart (any translation is
fine; I'm partial to
David Staines' prose translation of the collected works).
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (any Middle English version)
Chaucer, Knight's Tale, Tale of Sir Thopas (any Middle English edition of
the Canterbury Tales)

English 264, Winter 2006                                            George
Haggerty
Restoration & 18th Century                                          Office:
3006 H&SS, ext. 21940
Colonialism and Desire
(I)                                            Hours: Wed, Fri 11-12 & by
appt

Description

This is the first part of a two-part seminar (to be continued in Professor
Roy's English 267, Spring 2006) that addresses questions of colonialism and
desire in the 17th through the 20th centuries.  Students can take either
quarter as a regular seminar, or they can carry their work over two
quarters, and write one final paper at the end of twenty weeks.  Students
will be asked to consider a range of literary and non-literary texts,
including plays, poetry, fiction, letters, travel-writing, and journalism,
as well as recent critical and theoretical work on the colonialist
enterprise.  For students who take both quarters, a "work-in-progress" will
be acceptable at the end of Winter quarter.  Professor Roy and I will each
participate (to a limited degree) in both quarters of the class, and we
would like to treat it as a single unit.  Grades at the end of the first
quarter will be "provisional" for students who are continuing into the
second quarter.

Required Reading

Arabian Nights Entertainments
Beckford, Vathek & The Episodes of Vathek
Behn, Oroonoko
Defoe, Robinson Crusoe
Dacre, Zofloya
Dryden, The Indian Queen
Equiano, Autobiography
Hamilton, Letters of a Hindoo Raja
Mack, ed., Oriental Tales
Montagu, Turkish Embassy Letters
Neville, The Isle of the Pines
Pope, "Winsor Forest"
Rowlandson, Indian Captivity Narrative
Shakespeare, The Tempest

Critical and theoretical reading

Aravamudan, Tropicopolitans
Brown, The Ends of Empire
Colley, Captives
Foucault, The History of Sexuality
Lamb, Preserving the Self in the South Seas, 1680-1840
Mintz and Price, The Birth of African American Culture
Nussbaum, Torrid Zones
------.  The Global Eighteenth Century
Roach, The Cities of the Dead
Said, Orientalism

(Here's Professor Parama Roy's S'06 tentative course description -- this
course may be used as part II of Professor George Haggerty's W'06 course.)

English 275-001:  Seminar in Film and Visual Cultures
Nanook's Smile: Reading Reel Indians

Professor Raheja
Seminar:                 Tuesday 2:10-5:00 PM  OLMH 1132
Screening:             Tuesday 6:10-9:00 PM  SPR 2212

986870f.jpg

                                                                         Scene
from Nanook of the North (1922)

This seminar will center on historical representations of Native Americans
in Hollywood cinema, as well as works by independent indigenous filmmakers,
from the silent era to the present.  We will think about how images of
Native Americans circulate within discourses of ethnography, sovereignty,
sexuality, authenticity, and orality.  Prior to our first meeting, students
should view Nanook of the North and Atanarjuat/The Fast Runner, as these
films will serve as guiding texts throughout the quarter. Films will
include In the Land of the Headhunters/War Canoes, The Vanishing American,
The Silent Enemy, The Searchers, Navajo Talking Picture, History of the
Luiseño, It Starts with a Whisper, Smoke Signals, Deep Inside Clint Star,
Helpless Maiden Makes an 'I' Statement.  Secondary readings may include
work by Gerald Vizenor, Fatimah Tobing Rony, Faye Ginsbury, Anne Anlin
Cheng, Jay Ruby, and Diana Taylor.  Course requirements include a
presentation, a film review, regular class participation, and presentation
of a 10-12 page research paper at an end of the quarter mock conference.  A
detailed syllabus will be available at the end of the fall quarter.

(We will send you Professors T. Miller and V. Nunley's course descriptions
when they arrive.)

Best,

Tina Feldmann