[Cwgrad-announcements] Fwd: CORRECTION on seminars

cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu
Thu Oct 27 14:24:34 PDT 2005

Dear All,
See Tina's corrections below:

From: Tina Feldmann <tina.feldmann at ucr.edu>
Subject: CORRECTION on seminars
To: david.danow at ucr.edu;, raymond.williams at ucr.edu;,
andrew.winer at ucr.edu;, steven.ostrow at ucr.edu;,
robin.russin at ucr.edu;, nicole.vines at ucr.edu;,
susan.komura at ucr.edu
Cc: steven.axelrod at ucr.edu

TO:    Faculty graduate advisors and staff graduate advisors

When I sent you this email about two hours ago, I mistakenly
listed the
'Subject' as W'07; it should be W'06.    Also, I'm adding a
course
description to the bottom of this email, that was left off
the email sent
to you two hours ago.   (We are still waiting for 2 more
course
descriptions, which will be sent to you as soon as we get
them.)

If you've sent the first email (that was sent 2 hours ago)
to your graduate
students already, would you please forward this new, updated
version?    If
you haven't sent it, just delete it and sent this one.

Thanks very much.

Tina Feldmann

>TO:   Faculty graduate advisors and staff graduate advisors
>
>Please forward this email to all graduate students in your
department(s).

>Please also be sure that every graduate student in your
department is made
>aware of our department's policy that all seminar
enrollments must first be
>approved by the English department's faculty graduate
advisor, Professor
>Steven Axelrod (see further information and form below).
>
>Once permission is granted by Professor Axelrod, your
students may sign up
>through GROWL during the pre-registration period beginning
November 4.

>While first priority must be given to English graduate
students, we
>recognize the need and interest of graduate students
outside our
>department, and in that spirit, we are happy to notify
interested graduate
>students of the remaining seminar spaces if they will send
their seminar
>preference email to Professor Axelrod in part II, listed
below).    We are
>including 7 of the 9 course descriptions at the bottom of
this
>email.   When the other 2 course descriptions arrive, we'll
send those to
>you immediately.
>
>When a student is given permission to enroll in the
seminar, their place is
>reserved, therefore, we ask that any student that changes
their mind and no
>longer wishes to enroll in the class, to please notify
Professor Axelrod,
>by email, so that he can then make that enrollment slot
available to
>another student.
>
>If you would like anyone added to or deleted from this
quarterly email,
>please email me directly at tina.feldmann at ucr.edu.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Tina
>
>NOTE:   This email has 3 parts.
>
>Part I   -- The seminar listing.
>Part II --  The seminar preference form that should be sent
to Professor
>Axelrod
>Part III -- The seminar course descriptions to assist
students in
>completing Part II.
>
>---------------
>
>Part I  (the seminar listing) --
>
>                                  WINTER ‘06 GRADUATE
COURSES as of 10/26/05
>MONDAY
>
>English 264-001 ­ Seminar in 18th Century
>12:10 pm ­ 3:00 pm in HMNSS 1502  (George Haggerty)
>
>English 273-002 ­ Seminar in Cultural Studies
>5:10 - 8:00 pm in HMNSS 1407 (Toby Miller & Ellen Wartella)
>
>TUESDAY
>English 275-001 ­ Seminar Film and Visual Cultures
>2:10 - 5:00 pm in OLMH 1132  (Michelle Raheja)
>
>Screening for English 275
>6:10 ­ 9:00 pm in SPR 2212   (Michelle Raheja)
>
>English 273-001 ­ Seminar in Cultural Studies
>5:10 - 8:00 pm in HMNSS 1407  (Vorris Nunley)
>
>WEDNESDAY
>
>English 281-001  ­ Seminar in Comparative Studies
>2:10 - 5:00 pm in HMNSS 1407 (Stanley Stewart)
>
>English 270-001 ­ Seminar in American Literature since 1900
5:10 ­ 8:00 pm
>in HMNSS 1407  (Steve Axelrod)
>
>THURSDAY
>English 262-001 ­ Seminar in Renaissance Literature
>2:10 - 5:00 pm in OLMH 1126 (John Briggs)
>
>English 260-001  ­ Seminar in Medieval Literature
>5:10 - 8:00 pm in OLMH 1126 (Andrea Denny-Brown)
>
>FRIDAY
>English 268-001 ­ Seminar in British Literature since 1900
>2:10 ­ 5:00 pm in HMNS 1407  (Kim Devlin)
>
>-----------------
>
>Part II (This seminar preference form must be sent to
>steven.axelrod at ucr.edu.)
>

> >Seminar Preference Form for Winter Quarter, 2006
> >
> >This form is only necessary for students wishing to take
English
> >Department graduate seminars in winter 2006. Please
indicate the courses
> >that you would prefer to take, and email this form back
to me by 3:00 PM
> >on Thursday, November 3.
> >
> >Forms received before that time will receive first
priority. Forms
> >received after that time will get second priority. I will
email seminar
> >rosters to everyone on the evening of November 3. Pre-
registration begins
> >at 8:00 AM on Friday, November 4.
> >
> >If you wish to take two English Department seminars, you
must fill out
> >at
> >least four choices. If you wish to take only one English
Department
> >seminar, you should fill out at least two choices.
> >
> >You will have received all your seminar descriptions by
10 AM on
> >Tuesday,
> >November 1. You will have nine English seminars to choose
from: 260
> >(Medieval with A. Denny-Brown), 262 (Renaissance with J.
Briggs), 264
> >(Eighteenth Century with G. Haggerty), 268 (Modern
British with K.
> >Devlin), 270 (Modern American with S. Axelrod), 273-01
(Cultural Studies
> >with V. Nunley), 273-02 (Cultural Studies with T. Miller
& E. Wartella),
> >275 (Film with M. Raheja), and 281 (Comparative Studies
with S. Stewart).
> >I would be happy to discuss your options with you via
email, office visit,

_____________.

_____________.

_____________.

_____________.

_____________.

________________________

> >                 Your
> > Name                       Date                    Email
Address

> >Steven Gould Axelrod
> >Professor of English
> >Director of Graduate Studies
> >Chair, Committee on Committees
> >University of California
> >Riverside, CA 92521
> >steven.axelrod at ucr.edu
> >951 780 5653 (home phone)
>
>----------------
>
>Part III  (course descriptions)    TWO ARE FORTHCOMING
>
>English 262-001 -- Seminar in Renaissance Literature (John
Briggs)    W'06

> >>      This winter, the Renaissance Seminar will study
Shakespearean
> >> catharsis in comedy, tragedy, and romance (an
implicitly in satire that
> >> shades into these three).  We will also be concerned
with the
> >> ramifications of our findings for a reassessment of the
place of theory
> >> and aesthetic criticism in English studies.  We will
read Twelfth Night,
> >> Lear, Winter's Tale, and several problem plays
(probably All's Well and
> >> perhaps Troilus and Cressida).
>
> >Steven Axelrod
> >English 270
> >Winter 2006
> >
> >This seminar will focus on postmodernism. We will read
works in a wide
> >variety of genres, including poetry, fiction, drama, and
theory. We
> >will read such authors as Sylvia Plath, John Ashbery,
Kathy Acker, John
> >Yau, Ana Menendez, Harryette Mullen, Paul Auster, Amy
Gerstler, Rae
> >Armantrout, Susan Howe, Nathaniel Mackey, Cherrie Moraga,
Sarah Kane,
> >and Trinh Min-ha. We will consider new ways texts are
being constructed
> >these days and their compliant and resistant relations to
both
> >contemporary history and literary tradition. Seminar
requirements: oral
> >participation; two oral reports; and one seminar paper on
a topic of
> >your choice.
> >
> >Does anyone know
> >which tradition
> >we are trying to access? -Rae Armantrout
>
>Here's Professor Devlin's course description:
>

> >ENGLISH 268: A survey of 20th Century British fiction,
inaugurated by
> >an
> >influential late 19th century "pretext"--Ibsen's A Doll
House (Signet,
> >0-451-51939-6)--widely translated and almost immediately
infamous for its
> >"door slam heard round the world."  We will then read
Joyce's Dubliners
> >(Norton Critical Edition, due out in November 2005),
Conrad's Heart of
> >Darkness (the new 4th Norton Critical Edition), his later-
-and more
> >bizarre--novel The Secret Agent (Penguin, 0-14-018096-6),
Forster's
> >Howards End (Bedford, 030-312-11182-7), Woolf's The Waves
(Harcourt Brace
> >Jonanovich, 0-15-694960-1), Waugh's A Handful of Dust
(Little, Brown,
> >0-316-92605-1), and Fowles' The French Lieutenant's Woman
(Signet,
> >0-451-11095-1).  Topics for discussion are open, but will
(in general)
> >include the representations of women and their
various "roles" (in both
> >senses of the word); of imperialism and colonized
regions; of shifting
> >class structures; of the influence of childhood
on "mature" selfhood; and,
> >in many texts, modernism's obsession with the past--its
recurrent
> >"backward glance."  M.A students will be required to
write a 12-15 page
> >paper, Ph.D. students an 18-25 page one.
>
>Engl. 260: Medieval Knighthood and the Artifice of
Masculinity
<mailto:andreadb at ucr.edu>andreadb at ucr.edu

>“A man without arms has no right to speak.”  Béroul, Tristan
>
>This course will investigate the perceptions of masculinity
that develop
>around the concept of knighthood in the European Middle
Ages.  We will
>combine readings in medieval literature with recent
theoretical work,
>focusing on the masculine care of the self and the body by
way of the
>following subjects: technological and cultural changes in
arms and armor;
>battle plunder and violence; women's love tokens integrated
into knightly
>attire; chivalry and self-presentation; beards, body hair,
and hair cuts;
>Christ as knight; knightly dressing and cross-dressing;
disguise and
>jousting; the emergence of the “gallant” or dandy; and the
economics and
>aesthetics of heraldry.  Literary materials will range from
early crusader
>epics through Arthurian romances, historical chronicles,
and chivalric
>manuals, and will finish with the famous parodies of
medieval knighthood in
>Spenser, Cervantes, and Monty Python.  Theoretical texts
will include
>Michel Foucault, Klaus Theweleit, Kaja Silverman, and Eve
Sedgwick, among
>others, along with a variety of other cultural texts and
>materials.  Although this course centers on pre-modern
constructions of
>masculinity, it will attempt to ground students in
theoretical approaches
>and concepts which are applicable to the study of periods
and cultures
>other than the Middle Ages.
>No knowledge if Middle English necessary.
>
>Required Texts:
>Please purchase texts through Amazon or other booksellers
prior to our
>first meeting; texts will also be on reserve at Rivera.
Please read the
>Song of Roland for our first class.
>
>Song of Roland, trans. Glyn S. Burgess (Penguin Classics)
Guillaume
>d’Orange: Four Twelfth Century Epics, trans. Joan M.
Ferrante

>Four Romances of England: King Horn, Havelok the Dane,
Bevis of Hampton,
>Athelston
>

>(TEAMS Middle English Texts), eds
><http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-
url/index=books&field-autho
>r-exact=Ronald%20B.%20Herzman&rank=-relevance%2C%
2Bavailability%2C-daterank/
>103-4812090-5403031>Ronald
>B. Herzman,
><http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-
url/index=books&field-autho
>r-exact=Graham%20Drake&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-
daterank/103-481
>2090-5403031>Graham
>Drake,
><http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-
url/index=books&field-autho
>r-exact=Eve%20Salisbury&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%
2C-daterank/103-48
>12090-5403031>Eve
>Salisbury.
>

>Please note this edition is also online.
>
>Ramon Llul, Book of Knighthood and Chivalry: With the
Anonymous Ordene De
>Chevalerie,
>              ed & trans., Brian R. Price.
>Geoffroi de Charny, Book of Chivalry, trans.  Richard W.
Kaeuper and
>Elspeth Kennedy
>Christine de Pizan, Book of Deeds of Arms and Chivalry,
trans. Sumner
>Willard Heldris of Cornwall, Silence: A Thirteenth-Century
French Romance,
>trans.
>Sarah Roche-Mahdi
>Jean Foissart, Chronicles, trans. Geoffrey Brereton
(Penguin Classics)

>Thomas Malory, King Arthur and His Knights: Selected Tales,
ed. Eugene
>Vinaver (Oxford UP;
>Galaxy)
>
>Chrétien de Troyes, Lancelot, or The Knight of the Cart
(any translation is
>fine; I’m partial to
>David Staines’ prose translation of the collected works).
>Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (any Middle English
version) Chaucer,
>Knight’s Tale, Tale of Sir Thopas (any Middle English
edition of
>the Canterbury Tales)
>

>English 264, Winter
2006                                            George
>Haggerty
>Restoration & 18th
Century                                          Office:
>3006 H&SS, ext. 21940
>Colonialism and Desire
>(I)                                            Hours: Wed,
Fri 11-12 & by
>appt
>

>Description
>

>This is the first part of a two-part seminar (to be
continued in Professor
>Roy’s English 267, Spring 2006) that addresses questions of
colonialism and
>desire in the 17th through the 20th centuries.  Students
can take either
>quarter as a regular seminar, or they can carry their work
over two
>quarters, and write one final paper at the end of twenty
weeks.  Students
>will be asked to consider a range of literary and non-
literary texts,
>including plays, poetry, fiction, letters, travel-writing,
and journalism,
>as well as recent critical and theoretical work on the
colonialist
>enterprise.  For students who take both quarters, a “work-
in-progress” will
>be acceptable at the end of Winter quarter.  Professor Roy
and I will each
>participate (to a limited degree) in both quarters of the
class, and we
>would like to treat it as a single unit.  Grades at the end
of the first
>quarter will be “provisional” for students who are
continuing into the
>second quarter.
>

>Required Reading
>
>Arabian Nights Entertainments
>Beckford, Vathek & The Episodes of Vathek
>Behn, Oroonoko
>Defoe, Robinson Crusoe
>Dacre, Zofloya
>Dryden, The Indian Queen
>Equiano, Autobiography
>Hamilton, Letters of a Hindoo Raja
>Mack, ed., Oriental Tales
>Montagu, Turkish Embassy Letters
>Neville, The Isle of the Pines
>Pope, “Winsor Forest”
>Rowlandson, Indian Captivity Narrative
>Shakespeare, The Tempest
>

>Critical and theoretical reading
>
>Aravamudan, Tropicopolitans
>Brown, The Ends of Empire
>Colley, Captives
>Foucault, The History of Sexuality
>Lamb, Preserving the Self in the South Seas, 1680-1840
>Mintz and Price, The Birth of African American Culture
Nussbaum, Torrid
>Zones ------.  The Global Eighteenth Century Roach, The
Cities of the Dead
>Said, Orientalism
>

>(Here's Professor Parama Roy's S'06 tentative course
description -- this
>course may be used as part II of Professor George
Haggerty's W'06 course.)

we will
nineteenth and
theoretical readings
prostitution,
miscegenation,
women in the
metropolitan
course include the
Charlotte
(from his
Kipling, Kim
She; Joseph
Forster, A
Katherine Mayo,
Critical and
(Black Skin White
Desire), Malek
(Allegories of Empire),
Allon White,
Silverman.

>English 275-001:  Seminar in Film and Visual Cultures
>Nanook’s Smile: Reading Reel Indians
>
>Professor Raheja
>Seminar:                 Tuesday 2:10-5:00 PM  OLMH 1132
>Screening:             Tuesday 6:10-9:00 PM  SPR 2212
>
>986870f.jpg
>

>Scene
>from Nanook of the North (1922)
>
>This seminar will center on historical representations of
Native Americans
>in Hollywood cinema, as well as works by independent
indigenous filmmakers,
>from the silent era to the present.  We will think about
how images of
>Native Americans circulate within discourses of
ethnography, sovereignty,
>sexuality, authenticity, and orality.  Prior to our first
meeting, students
>should view Nanook of the North and Atanarjuat/The Fast
Runner, as these
>films will serve as guiding texts throughout the quarter.
Films will
>include In the Land of the Headhunters/War Canoes, The
Vanishing American,
>The Silent Enemy, The Searchers, Navajo Talking Picture,
History of the
>Luiseño, It Starts with a Whisper, Smoke Signals, Deep
Inside Clint Star,
>Helpless Maiden Makes an ‘I’ Statement.  Secondary readings
may include
>work by Gerald Vizenor, Fatimah Tobing Rony, Faye Ginsbury,
Anne Anlin
>Cheng, Jay Ruby, and Diana Taylor.  Course requirements
include a
>presentation, a film review, regular class participation,
and presentation
>of a 10-12 page research paper at an end of the quarter
mock conference.  A
>detailed syllabus will be available at the end of the fall
quarter.
English 281

Comparative Studies: Philosophy and Literary Theory
           (Mr. Stewart)

What, if any, are the standards of inclusion and exclusion
of propositions
in critical theory today?  Do current practitioners in the
field
discriminate between information and misinformation?  Do
they recognize or
consider methods of examining “truth claims” of
contradictory statements
generated within the field?  This ten-week seminar will deal
with the
concept of “certainty,” as it shows itself in representative
theories and
practices in current literary studies, including literary
history, genre
studies, cultural studies, critical theory, and the like.
The aim will be
to formulate an understanding of the tone of assurance that
underlies much
what passes as “professional criticism” in English studies
today, and to
submit that tone of assurance to skeptical scrutiny.
Finally, the seminar
will examine the grounds on which literary statements might
justify consent
or dissent on the part of skeptical inquirers.

The text for the seminar will be On Certainty, the essay on
which
Wittgenstein was working at the time of his death.  The
seminar will
discuss the work in relation to problems in the published
writings in
recent literary, cultural, and theoretical studies.  Each
participant will
produce an analysis, in oral and written form, of the
grounds for assent to
or dissent from a “problematic” assertion found in the
current
“professional” literature.  The aim will be to examine what
acceptance and
rejection of such an assertion amounts to.  What measure of
assurance does
assent require?  Are there public criteria to adjudge
assent, or can
critics dissemble their level of assurance?  (Would it
advance one’s career
to feign assurance with respect to P or not-P?)  Is it okay
to publish or
teach propositions­say, to impart misinformation or nonsense--
prior to
arriving at assent?  Or, again, does assent, by itself,
justify imparting
misinformation or nonsense in print or in the classroom?
Text: Wittgenstein, Ludwig.  On Certainty.  Ed. G.E.M.
Anscombe and G.H. von
Wright.  New York: Harper Torchbooks, 1972.  ISBN 0-06-
131686-5.

>(We will send you Professors T. Miller and V. Nunley's
course descriptions
>when they arrive.)
>
>Best,
>
>Tina Feldmann

Tina Feldmann
Administrative Assistant -- Graduate Studies
Department of English
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA  92521-0323
office: (951) 827-1454