[Corebotanyfaculty] Fwd: HHMI Opens New Freeman Hrabowski Scholars Competition

Bpschair bpschair at ucr.edu
Wed Feb 14 23:00:42 PST 2024

Hi everyone,  Sue Wessler shared this HHMI opportunity for early career faculty.
Please let me know if you are interested in pursuing this.

Best, patty

Begin forwarded message:

From: Susan Wessler <swessler at ucr.edu<mailto:swessler at ucr.edu>>
Subject: Fwd: HHMI Opens New Freeman Hrabowski Scholars Competition
Date: February 14, 2024 at 8:49:07 AM PST
To: Bpschair <bpschair at ucr.edu<mailto:bpschair at ucr.edu>>

Of interest to our faculty?

Begin forwarded message:

From: HHMI Chief Scientific Officer <hhmicommunications at hhmi.org<mailto:hhmicommunications at hhmi.org>>
Date: February 14, 2024 at 6:03:10 AM PST
To: susan.wessler at ucr.edu<mailto:susan.wessler at ucr.edu>

View web version<https://hhminews.us.newsweaver.com/cmu1ls22wl/20nrjjdki04qtxw6l84lnh?email=true&lang=en&a=11&p=21087820>
[https://hhminews.us.newsweaver.com/v3files/shard200/1000189/6a/0e85eb632ea8cb3a21e52f.png]<https://hhminews.us.newsweaver.com/cmu1ls22wl/20nrjjdki04qtxw6l84lnh?email=true&lang=en&a=6&p=21087820&t=287644>
<https://hhminews.us.newsweaver.com/cmu1ls22wl/20nrjjdki04qtxw6l84lnh?email=true&lang=en&a=6&p=21087820&t=287633>
HHMI Chief Scientific Officer
Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to share that HHMI’s 2025 Freeman Hrabowski Scholars competition opened today. We would love for you to share this news with your networks and encourage early career scientists in or beginning tenure-track faculty positions to apply – including those outside your institution.

Applications are due May 15, 2024, at 3:00 p.m. (ET) and we expect to select up to 30 new Scholars during the 2025 competition.  Details can be found at hhm.org/programs/freeman-hrabowski-scholars<https://hhminews.us.newsweaver.com/cmu1ls22wl/1w75poiwmt2qtxw6l84lnh/external?email=true&a=6&p=21087820&t=287635>.

Freeman Hrabowski Scholars are outstanding basic researchers, including physician-scientists, who have strong potential to become leaders in their fields. Scholars are committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion through their mentoring efforts and understanding of systemic exclusion and marginalization in science of trainees from different backgrounds. While pursuing excellence in their own research, Scholars work to create an inclusive lab climate that serves as a model within their own institutions and beyond.

Freeman Hrabowski Scholars are employed by HHMI and maintain an academic appointment and lab at their eligible US research institution<https://hhminews.us.newsweaver.com/cmu1ls22wl/7vww62b6cxnqtxw6l84lnh/external?email=true&a=6&p=21087820&t=287635>, similar to HHMI Investigators. Each Scholar is appointed to a five-year term, renewable for a second five-year term after a successful progress evaluation. Scholars will receive up to $8.6 million over the 10-year period, including full salary and benefits, a research budget of approximately $400,000 per year over the first five years ($600,000 per year during the second five years), and eligibility to participate in the HHMI capital equipment program.

If you can, please help us get the word out about the competition on social media, using the X/Twitter hashtag #FHScholars.

Thanks for helping us expand our HHMI community.

Bests,

Leslie
Leslie B. Vosshall, PhD (hear my name<https://hhminews.us.newsweaver.com/cmu1ls22wl/qo65i0vvorrqtxw6l84lnh/external?email=true&a=6&p=21087820&t=287635>)
Vice President and Chief Scientific Officer
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
vosshalll at hhmi.org<mailto:vosshalll at hhmi.org>
301.215.8790
(she/her/hers)