[Corebotanyfaculty] Greenhouse management

April M Meinzer april.meinzer at ucr.edu
Tue Apr 16 15:01:31 PDT 2024

Dear AES chairs, faculty and GH users,

As our number of users of greenhouses and growth chambers have increased, we are making changes in greenhouse management structure. With the support of CNAS, we were able to hire a greenhouse manager, Hung Lai, who is responsible for issues relative to greenhouse personnel, security, maintenance, and space usage. The supervisor serves as safety officer for the greenhouses and is responsible for pest management and environmental controls. Hung accepted the position as greenhouse manager in the fall of 2022. Hung brought a wealth of experience to the position having served as a Senior Nursery Technician for greenhouses for UCR for several years. Hung's initial focus was in managing Plant Research 1 (PR1) where he was successful in bringing the new facility online. At this time, Hung oversees all greenhouses and CNAS-owned growth chambers (located in PR1). He also supervises the greenhouse staff: 3 greenhouse technicians, Bruce Martin, Maria Mendoza, and Ruben Evangelista and our greenhouse pest management person, Michael Steinfeld. Sue Lee will continue in an administrative role overseeing financials.

Hung is responsible for the day-to-day management of all of ag ops greenhouses, lath houses and Plant Research 1. Going forward, he is also responsible for allocating greenhouse space. To request greenhouse space, please email agops at ucr.edu<mailto:agops at ucr.edu> and Hung Lai will be in touch with you regarding the request. For questions on billing and updating  and releasing space assignments, please contact Hung Lai (hung.lai at ucr.edu<mailto:hung.lai at ucr.edu>) and Brian Alvarez (brian.alvarez at ucr.edu<mailto:brian.alvarez at ucr.edu>). Please be aware that we will continue to charge for the greenhouse space until an email is sent indicating the effective date of release.

For requests for space in PR1, please contact email agops at ucr.edu<mailto:agops at ucr.edu> and request the formal application for greenhouse or growth chamber space. We will forward the applications to you and then once you return the application to agops at ucr.edu<mailto:agops at ucr.edu>, we will forward the completed application to the Greenhouse Academic oversight committee for review. You should hear back from the committee within 2 weeks of the submission.

For workorders, please use the Ag Ops work order system to request repairs, irrigation requests, modifications, etc. Here is a direct link to the page for Workorders https://agops.ucr.edu/forms. Workorders are automatically routed to the office. If the need is urgent, please call our office at 951-827-5906 and the workorder will be routed to the appropriate person in accordance with the urgency. Due to the volume of workorders for greenhouses, we are implementing the protocol that Facilities established for their workorder system, prioritizing the workorder request based on the supervisor's assessment.

 Thank you.

Peggy

Dr. Peggy A. Mauk
Director of Citrus Research Center and