[Corebotanyfaculty] Fwd: Teaching workshops for incoming faculty--please share

Bpschair bpschair at ucr.edu
Thu Sep 14 18:23:26 PDT 2023

Dear all,
The Academy of Distinguished Teachers is hosting a series of teaching workshops that are marketed for new faculty, but they are open to everyone - if you would like to improve aspects of your teaching or want help on specific teaching skills, please consider attending.

Patty

Patricia Springer
Professor and Chair, Department of Botany and Plant Sciences
University of California
Riverside, CA  92521

pspringer at ucr.edu<mailto:pspringer at ucr.edu>
bpschair at ucr.edu
951-827-4413 (Chair's office)
951-827-5785 (Faculty office)
http://plantbiology.ucr.edu

Dear Incoming Faculty,
Welcome to the UCR community! We are excited that you will be joining us and look forward to your contributions to research, teaching, and service on our campus. This Fall Quarter, the Academy of Distinguished Teaching will be hosting the First Year Faculty Teaching Workshops: Strategies for Student-Centered Learning. These workshops will be held bi-weekly on Wednesday afternoons from 4-5:20 pm in the XCITE Commons, Rivera Library A0101A, on the following dates with the following topics:

Week 1 (10/4):  Foundations of Student-Centered Learning:  Syllabus, Course Management, and Simple Tips
Week 2 (10/18):  Designing Learning Outcomes for Student Engagement and Success
Week 3 (11/1):  Creating Assignments and Exams that Foster Learning and Growth
Week 4 (11/15):  Engage, Explore, and Empower: Active Learning Strategies for the Classroom
Week 5 (11/29):  Teaching in the Merit and Promotion Process

Participants who attend in-person for at least four of the five workshops will receive a letter from the Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Education Louie Rodriguez for your personnel files indicating your investment in this effort.

If you are interested, please register at this link: https://forms.gle/cnnymVFpVSd3BdzT9

If you would like more information, please contact me at Stephanie.dingwall at ucr.edu<mailto:Stephanie.dingwall at ucr.edu>. I, along with the other members of the Academy of Distinguished Teaching, look forward to meeting you in the fall.

Best regards,
Stephanie Dingwall
Chair, Academy of Distinguished Teachers
Associate Professor of Teaching in Biochemistry

Louie F. Rodriguez
Vice Provost and Dean
Division of Undergraduate Education
Professor of Education