[Corebotanyfaculty] Rank of position requests for 2023/2024

Mariella J Valdivia mariella.valdivia at ucr.edu
Wed May 3 16:02:38 PDT 2023

Dear All,

During faculty meeting this week we discussed focusing our 2023/2024 academic position requests on the top ranked position from last year (“Resilience to climate change”) and adding an additional molecular/cellular biology position to fill gaps in the department that arose after the departure of Zhenbiao, Xuemei and others. Because it is unlikely that we will be awarded two positions this year, we must rank our requests by order of preference.

Please use this google form to rank the position requests for the 2023/2024 academic year by Friday, May 5: https://forms.gle/jbp2bLcBhL2Sycn97

Below is a quick description of the current position at the top of our list. The cellular/molecular biology position description is to be determined.

All the best,
Danelle

Resilience to climate change:
Climate change is causing increases in temperature and carbon dioxide (CO2) levels and an increased frequency of extreme weather events such as drought and flooding, thus threatening both agricultural productivity and natural ecosystems.  We seek a candidate who will use the tools of genomics to understand climate change impacts on plants in both agricultural and natural systems. Specifically, the candidate should work to understand genomic contexts that allow resistance or resilience to extreme climate events. Research in this area is essential to develop a comprehensive understanding of the contrasting genomic compositions that are the basis for responses to the environment. The proposed position would form an important bridge between researchers working within the agricultural mission of the Agricultural Experiment Station and researchers working with advanced concepts in Genetics, Genomics and Bioinformatics. The successful applicant will teach Graduate Plant Physiology, will contribute to graduate and undergraduate bioinformatics courses such as BIOL 119 and GEN 220, and develop a graduate seminar in Plant Physiology. Potential to leverage funding: The successful applicant will be able to leverage funding from basic science sources such as NSF, as well as applied sources such as USDA, and commodity boards such as the California Avocado Commission, Citrus Research Board, California Competitive Grant Program for Research in Viticulture and Enology, Almond Board of California and California Olive Committee.
Danelle Seymour, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Botany and Plant Sciences