[Corebotanyfaculty] FW: [Senate] May 24, 2022 Spring Division Meeting

Mariella J Valdivia mariella.valdivia at ucr.edu
Tue May 24 08:28:20 PDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,

I’m emailing you today to urge you to attend the May 24th divisional meeting of the Academic Senate TODAY and vote YES on the proposal to create a new Department of Black Study – it is item 10-K on the agenda which you can find here: https://senate.ucr.edu/division/agenda/2021/05-24-2022

The urgent need for this department is highlighted in the proposal (posted at the link above) – in fact, it is long overdue. As was recently discussed in the CNAS/Black Study Initiative Roundtable, it will also provide important connections to education and research in CNAS and create a base for Black students and colleagues across campus, fostering recruitment and retention.

I hope you agree and will attend the upcoming meeting (to be held today via Zoom -- Tuesday, May 24, at 1pm) to vote to approve the creation of a Department of Black Study. It is an easy thing to do to show support for our Black students and colleagues at UCR. The vote is live and all Senate faculty are eligible to vote (including Assistant Professors and Asst/Assoc/Profs of Teaching).
Details of the divisional meeting are in the email appended below.

Can I count on you to attend today and to vote yes?

Please feel free to disseminate this request. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Janet Franklin (she/her), Distinguished Professor
Department of Botany and Plant Sciences
University of California - Riverside
900 University Ave
Riverside CA 92521
Web site: https://jfrankl39.wixsite.com/vale
janet.franklin at ucr.edu<mailto:janet.franklin at ucr.edu>

UCR occupies the ancestral lands of the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and we are grateful to have the opportunity to work on these homelands.

"Racism in America is like dust in the air. It seems invisible — even if you’re choking on it — until you let the sun in. Then you see it’s everywhere. As long as we keep shining that light, we have a chance of cleaning it wherever it lands. But we have to stay vigilant, because it’s always still in the air." -- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, 30 May 2020, Los Angeles Times