[CEPCEB_All] Plants3D February 2021 newsletter

Maureen Gateas maureenh at ucr.edu
Thu Feb 25 11:18:01 PST 2021

*The Plants3D NRT Program Newsletter*
February 2021
*Announcements*

   - 2021 Trainee Applications are due March 1st
   - Seminars/Events: Every Second Friday
   - Our graduate course was approved and will be offered this spring
   - Community Member Highlight: Professor Dawn Nagel
   - Trainee Information and Tips

*Do you want to become a Plants3D trainee?* Are you a 1st or 2nd year
graduate student and interested in becoming a Plants3D trainee? Or do you
mentor a 1st or 2nd year graduate student interested in the Plants3D
program? Check out the Plants3D program website
<https://ucr.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20258b97443c8dea22c17955f&id=8b97125eb7&e=f8eca9c9de>
for
application information.
*Applications are due March 1st*
*Product Design and Entrepreneurship Course * Our capstone *Product Design
and Entrepreneurship for Ag and Biotech Applications* course is now
official!

Prospective 2021 Plants3D trainees should plan to take BPSC208/CEE208 in
Spring 2021 quarter. PhD/MS students who are not trainees are also welcome
to enroll. This 3 unit course examines the process of identifying,
evaluating, and commercializing biological and agricultural
products.  Instructors: Dr. Harvey Blanch (CEE) and Dr. Julia Bailey-Serres
(BPSC) TH 4-5:30. Syllabus
<https://ucr.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20258b97443c8dea22c17955f&id=89dd7f50e4&e=f8eca9c9de>.

*Upcoming Plants3D and CEPCEB Friday noon Seminars*

   - *2/26: *Dr. Kathleen Greenham, Department of Plant and Microbial
   Biology, U of MN. "Integrating time into transcriptional networks for
   pattern discovery" GREENHAM LAB - Home
   <https://ucr.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20258b97443c8dea22c17955f&id=3b7951730d&e=f8eca9c9de>
   - *3/12*: Dr. Devin Coleman-Derr, Plant Gene Expression Center and UC
   Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA. Title TBA. Speaker's website Coleman-Derr
   Lab | PGEC USDA (berkeley.edu)
   <https://ucr.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20258b97443c8dea22c17955f&id=d9c2f8e627&e=f8eca9c9de>
   - *4/9*: Dr. Mary Williams, American Society of Plant Biologists. Topic:
   Social networking for early career scientists.

Plants3D Community Member Profile
In each newsletter, we will profile a Plants3D community member whose
research, teaching, or outreach has made a difference in our community. In
this newsletter, we would like to acknowledge Assistant Professor Dawn
Nagel.

Assistant Professor Dawn Nagel seeks to define and manipulate circadian
clock regulators that enable effective plant responses to temperature
extremes. A native of Guyana, Dawn received her Ph.D. from the University
of Georgia under the direction of Susan Wessler and became interested in
the clock as a postdoc with Steve Kay and Susan Golden at UCSD. Dawn joined
our Botany and Plant Sciences Department in 2015 as part of the
interdepartmental cluster hire of four faculty working within the realm of
“plant translational sciences”. These individuals help to bridge the
disciplines of biology and engineering, at the heart of the Plants3D
program. Dawn’s work has been published in top ranking journals including
*PNAS*.  In 2020, she received a prestigious NSF CAREER award. As part of
this award, she had developed an undergraduate research experience course
that seeks to enhance the recruitment and retention of transfer community
college students. Fostering diversity in STEM is a top priority for Dawn.
Dawn’s deep understanding of her field allows her to think creatively and
practically about experimental directions. She is an excellent mentor that
allows her team members to have intellectual ownership over their projects
while providing hands-on training or collaborative opportunities as needed.
Asked about her mentor, her Ph.D. student Emily Blair said, “Dawn pushes me
to consider the larger context of my work, and overall her mentorship has
helped me to grow immensely as a scientist, worker, and person.” To learn
more about the Nagel lab and their translational research, visit Home
(wixsite.com)
<https://ucr.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20258b97443c8dea22c17955f&id=507a33a77d&e=f8eca9c9de>

>From left to right in the photo below: Tejasvinee Mody, Titouan Bonnot, Dr.
Dawn Nagel, and Emily Blair
*Trainee Information and Tips*

Do you want your research or outreach to be featured on our website or in a
newsletter? Do you want changes in your bio? Do you have an idea for the
community to share?
Please email the Plants3D NRT Program Coordinator, Maureen Hummel, about
your accomplishments with "Plants3D product" as your subject.

Be sure to acknowledge your NSF funding on every abstract, poster, and
manuscript as follows:
"Funded by the US National Science Foundation, DBI-1922642".

*Program contacts*
Julia Bailey-Serres, University Distinguished Professor, Botany and Plant
Sciences; serres at ucr.edu
Ian Wheeldon, Professor, Chemical and Environmental Engineering;
Ian.wheeldon at ucr.edu
Maureen Hummel, Program Coordinator; maureenh at ucr.edu
Plants3D NRT Website
<https://ucr.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=20258b97443c8dea22c17955f&id=e619f81c6b&e=f8eca9c9de>
*Copyright © 2021 Plants3D NSF NRT *DBI-1922642*, All rights reserved.*
plants3d.ucr.edu

[image: Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/email-referral/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=referral_marketing&aid=20258b97443c8dea22c17955f&afl=1>