[CEPCEB_All] Plants3D newsletter August 2021

Maureen Gateas maureenh at ucr.edu
Mon Aug 16 16:07:04 PDT 2021

Images not shown or remove content not shown ? To view the images, please
click "Display images below" or "load remote content" at the top of this
email located just below or above the subject line.

*Plants3D NRT Program Newsletter*
August 2021
*Upcoming Events and Highlights*

   - *Sept 10* from noon-12:50: Fall Design Tournament Planning Meeting
   (in-person)
   - *Sept 17* from 10AM-1PM: Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science
   workshop: "The Essentials" (virtual)
   - Community Highlight: Plants3D trainees *Rachael Hamby and Taylor Myhre*
   represent the Plants3D program at the ASBP Plant Biology 2021 meeting
   - Farewell to *Maureen Hummel* as Plants3D Coordinator

*Friday, September 17th, 10 AM - 1:00 PM*
"Communicating Science Workshop - The Essentials"

A very special workshop for all Plants3D trainees delivered by the Alan
Alda Center for Communicating Science. All trainees are expected to
participate. This interactive workshop focuses on improving skills for
communicating science to a broad audience. For more information about the
Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science, please visit
https://aldacenter.org/index.php. Contact Maureen or Julia if you have not
already expressed your interest, as the workshop is limited to 16 trainees.

*Fall Plants3D Events - Mark Your Calendar*
*Plants3D Design Tournament*
*9/10 *Planning discussion and short presentation by collaborators Yanran
Li & Alex Putman
*10/15 Round 1 *- individuals
*10/29 Round 2  *- pairs
*11/19-21 *at our Annual Retreat - interdisciplinary teams
Lead Organizer:

*Robert Jinkerson 10/8: Seminar,* Benedetto Marelli, MIT. Growing Silk for
Agrofood Resilience (via Zoom)

*Retreat 2021*: 19th-21st November 2021 to be held at the UCLA Lake
Arrowhead Conference Center
Plan to attend this wonderful networking and learning event. Registration
in October.
(In person)

Plants3D Community Profile
*Plants3D Trainees Rachael Hamby and Taylor Myhre*

During the Plant Biology 2021 international summit meeting, our program was
represented in the workshop "Enhancing Plant Science Education through the
NSF National Research Traineeship (NRT)."

The workshop introduced the principles of the NSF NRT program. During the
workshop, experiences in team science, professional development, diversity
and inclusion strategies, science communication, and other topics were
discussed by the *four *NRT programs in Plant Biology, namely the *Predictive
Plant Phenomics (P3)* program from Iowa State University lead by Dr. Julie
Dickerson, the *Integrated Training Model in Plant and Computational
Sciences* (IMPACTS) program from Michigan State University lead by Dr.
Shin-Han-Shiu, the *Digital Plant Science* (DPS) program from Cornell
University lead by Dr. Michael Scalion and our own *Plants3D*
(Discover-Design-Deploy)
program.

After an introduction by the various faculty, two or three students of each
program shared their training experiences. *Rachael Hamby* and *Taylor
Myhre* represented the Plants3D and discussed our course, the Design
Tournament, and what it is like to work in an interdisciplinary team. Thank
you, Rachael and Taylor!

On the left, Rachael Hamby and the right Taylor Myhre.
*Farewell to Maureen Hummel *

We bid farewell to Maureen Hummel this month who has been our wonderful
Program Coordinator. Maureen has been a postdoctoral researcher in the
Bailey-Serres lab since 2011. A native of The Netherlands, Maureen received
her PhD is from Utrecht University in Plant Molecular Physiology. She is an
expert in mRNA translation and bioinformatics. While at UCR, Maureen became
interested in combining teaching and research. She has been a part-time
instructor at Riverside Community College and the Botany and Plant Sciences
department. She has even taught Moreno Valley undergraduates to isolate
ribosomes by affinity purification. After 10 lovely years in California,
Maureen will return to the Netherlands, where she will be a professor of
molecular biology and bioinformatics at a technical college in Breda.
Maureen's great organizational skills and dedication have been an asset to
Plants3D.

Maureen, good luck in your new position and enjoy commuting by bike,
rain or shine.

The program is seeking a new part-time coordinator. If you are aware of
someone who may be interested, please have them contact me (Julia
Bailey-Serres).
*Trainee Information and Tips*

Do you want your research or outreach to be featured on our website or in a
newsletter? Do you want changes in your bio? Do you have an idea for the
community to share?
Do you want to feature your PI or a new paper?

Please email the Plants3D NRT Program Director (serres at ucr.edu) about your
accomplishments with "Plants3D product" as your subject.

Be sure to acknowledge your NSF funding on every abstract, poster, and
manuscript as follows:
"Funded by the US National Science Foundation, DBI-1922642".

*Program Contacts*
Julia Bailey-Serres,
University Distinguished Professor,
Botany and Plant Sciences
serres at ucr.edu
*
Ian Wheeldon,
Professor,
Chemical and Environmental Engineering
Ian.wheeldon at ucr.edu
*
Maureen Hummel,
Program Coordinator
maureenh at ucr.edu
Plants3D NRT Website <http://plants3d.ucr.edu>
*Copyright © 2021 Plants3D NSF NRT *DBI-1922642*, All rights reserved.*
plants3d.ucr.edu