[Ccbseeds] Become a Mentor with SEEDS-CCB Mentorship Program!

Clara Woodie cwood020 at ucr.edu
Tue Nov 1 14:39:34 PDT 2022

Hi all,

Are you a graduate student studying evolution, ecology, or conservation
biology? Do you wish to foster undergraduate excitement in these fields and
your own research? This is a reminder to please sign up to be a mentor in
the brand new CCB-SEEDS Mentorship Program! The Center for Conservation
Biology (CCB) graduate student group and undergraduate SEEDS (Strategies
for Ecology, Education and Diversity and Sustainability) group have started
a new program this year that will connect motivated undergraduates with
graduate student mentors.

As a mentor, you will work one-on-one with an undergraduate in a structured
yet flexible format to teach them the basics of your field and research
(see tentative quarterly schedule attached). You do not need to be in any
particular stage of research to be a mentor and thus, we welcome and
encourage first and second years to apply! This is a great opportunity to
connect with enthusiastic students that could end up being your vital
research assistants, and mentorship is a highly sought-after addition to
your CV. The goal of the mentorship program is to reduce barriers to
getting started in research as an undergraduate as well as to provide
mentoring opportunities for grad students at all stages.

Mentees will rotate each quarter, so you have an opportunity to mentor
multiple students per year. As a mentor, you'll be expected to work with
mentees approximately two hours a week. Mentors will be matched with
mentees beginning in winter quarter based on the interests of the mentee.
Check out the flyer below for more info!
*If you're interested in being a mentor, please fill out this quick form
<https://bit.ly/3SL6Jgz> **by Friday, November 18.* Thank you to those of
you who already signed up! More information will be coming your way by the
end of the quarter.

Best,
Clara

*Clara A. Woodie *(she/her)
Ph.D. Candidate
Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology
University of California, Riverside
clara.woodie at email.ucr.edu
*I am sending this email at a time that is convenient for me; please feel
free to reply when it is convenient for you.*