[Ccbseeds] Election Results & Upcoming Meeting

SEEDS at UCR theseedsucr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 07:25:02 PDT 2021

At our last meeting on Thursday April 15, we elected our official executive board, and ratified our new constitution.

View this email in your browser (https://mailchi.mp/caaf9cd6d467/election-results-upcoming-meeting?e=51238ef4b3)
Election Results, Updated Constitution, & Upcoming Meeting

Dear fellow SEEDS members,

At our last meeting on Thursday April 15, we discussed updates and tasks to complete for our research project (CHRRP), elected our official executive board, and ratified our new constitution. Meeting notes can be viewed here (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=5f46cd6be1&e=51238ef4b3) .
General Meeting on Thursday at 6-7 pm: CHRRP

For our meeting on Thursday April 29th at 6-7 pm, we will discuss and work on data entry for our research project, CHRRP. Service hours will be recorded. Be sure to drop by!
Zoom
Meeting ID: 923 1618 1650
Passcode: SEEDS
Click to Join, on April 29th at 6 pm (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=e2b32d6514&e=51238ef4b3)
Meet the official SEEDS at UCR Executive Board!

President: Rhea Amatya
Vice President: Advyth Ramachandran
Treasurer: Caryn Iwanaga
Secretary: Tejas Nair
Outreach Coordinator: Thuy-Tien Bui

President: Rhea Amatya
contact: ramat001 at ucr.edu

My name is Rhea and I am a third year student at UCR majoring in Biology and minoring in Applied Statistics. Some fun facts about me are that I have a dog named Tootsie and 6 parakeets all named after various food such as Tofu and Blue Cheese. I have a whole stack of unfinished books, tv shows, and paintings that I have slowly been completing this year. During my free time, I tend to paint or draw while listening to music or watching streamers. I am also interested in trying to use plant-pollinator and plant-herbivore networks to push for more conservation efforts. I am currently working remotely on a project to understand how plant-pollinator and plant-herbivore networks are connected under the Rafferty Lab. I am really grateful for the opportunity to be the President of SEEDS at UCR and I cannot wait until we get to officially start raking for CHRRP in Fall 2021.

Vice President: Advyth Ramachandran
contact: arama031 at ucr.edu

Hi all! I'm Advyth and I am a second-year Biology major. I'm an undergraduate assistant in the Spasojevic Ecology Lab here at UCR. I'm interested in plant ecology, herpetology, climate science, and fire ecology. I'm also a vivarium hobbyist, herper, and an avid gardener in my free time, and I enjoy nature photography as well. I'm very excited to make SEEDS a vibrant and welcoming place for students with shared interests to grow professionally. I'm also excited about our restoration research project, CHRRP, and I hope that our work will inform biodiversity conservation in our amazing Riverside area. Follow me on iNaturalist (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=64124155eb&e=51238ef4b3) !

Secretary: Tejas Nair
contact: tnair002 at ucr.edu

My name is Tejas (I also go by TJ) and I am a second year student pursuing a degree in Biology here at UCR. Some fun facts about me are that I have 2 dogs, 6 aquariums, and a strong passion for aquafarming corals. Growing up around aquariums, I have always had a passion for marine ecology and have made it my goal to be closely involved with coral reef conservation efforts. As of right now, I am working on a self-run research project that focuses on coral-algal symbiosis and have made plans to join a similarly-oriented lab on campus when we return. Joining SEEDS has provided me with an amazing opportunity to find a group of like-minded students and a platform to discuss ecology with people who are passionate about understanding the world around us.

Treasurer: Caryn Iwanaga
contact: ciwan001 at ucr.edu
Hey everyone! I'm Caryn! I am a Biology major and I want to pursue a career in research ecology. I am interested in topics such as plants, insect pollinators, soil microbes, and aquatic systems. I love to spend my free time painting and going on adventures with my dog, Lisa. I am excited to be involved in SEEDS because it is a great opportunity to get involved in research (like CHRRP), learn more about ecology, and meet awesome people with similar interests!
Outreach Coordinator: Thuy-Tien Bui
contact: tbui063 at ucr.edu

My name is Thuy-Tien and I am a second-year undergraduate majoring in Environmental Sciences. Whenever I’m not studying, I love watching TV and spending time outdoors, especially around my hometown in Orange County. I am currently researching the structure of plant-pollinator networks and how they respond to global change. As SEEDS’ outreach coordinator, I am excited to increase undergraduate involvement in ecology and environmental science research!
New Updated SEEDS Constitution

At our April 15th General Meeting, we finalized and ratified our updated Constitution. The new Constitution clarifies officer roles, the rights of members, and the mission of our chapter of SEEDS.
SEEDS at UCR Constitution 2021 (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=5ec7622ed5&e=51238ef4b3)
Updated Highlander Link Page (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=8b76474715&e=51238ef4b3)
Congratulations to Thuy-Tien and Rhea for winning best talks at Eco-Slam!

Thuy-Tien and Rhea each presented their research at Eco-Slam on plant-pollinator interactions, and won best 1st and 2nd best talks respectively. Great work!
Join our Discord Server!

Want to chat with fellow SEEDS members and follow updates? Join our new Discord server using the link below!
Join our Discord Server (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=e84926cccc&e=51238ef4b3)
Campus Hill Restoration Research Project (CHRRP)

Volunteers needed for Data Entry
With help from Dr. Michael Fugate and Center for Conservation Biology graduate students Jared and Annika, we were able to finish sampling baseline species composition. We need students to assist with entering this data so that it can be analyzed.
Grant Application Submitted
We have submitted an application for the Bloom-Hayes Grant, which is awarded by the Sea and Sage Chapter of the Audubon Society. If awarded to us, this grant will assist in funding for CHRRP.

Summary of Project
For those who are interested, the grant proposal outlines the project plan, schedule, budget, and background information. It can be viewed here using the link below. Also, scientific literature that is relevant to the project can be found in the SEEDS Shared Drive.
Project Summary & Plan (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=62a17e90da&e=51238ef4b3)
New CHRRP iNaturalist Project
We have created a new iNaturalist project to track the biodiversity of "BIO 5C Hill" the site of our research project. Join the project using the link below! If you observe anything on BIO 5C Hill, your observations will automatically be added to our project.
CHRRP iNaturalist Project (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=38f4d0410d&e=51238ef4b3)
Opportunities in Ecology

Part-Time Job with Southern California Coastal Water Research Project (copied correspondence)

"Hi everyone,

If anyone is looking for part time work, the good folks at SCCWRP (pronounced "skwerp") are looking for some help on the computer and the field. They are a really good outfit that does very cool work on freshwater conservation and management in California."

"I wanted to check in with you and see if you had any students (undergrad or grad) interested in paid part-time work at SCCWRP. We’re looking to hire a number of research assistants who have a strong interest in environmental management, and a background or interest in any of the following:
* Data science, statistics, and data visualization (familiarity with R and GIS are a big plus)
* Water quality monitoring (including bioassessment) at streams, lakes, and other habitats throughout the region
* DNA barcoding (both field and lab work)

If you have any interested students, please encourage them to send me or Eric a resume.
(This is true any time of year, but we’re looking to hire several for the summer).

Thank you!

Raphael Mazor
Principal Scientist
Southern California Coastal Water Research Project
3535 Harbor Blvd, Suite 110
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (714) 755-3235 [closed until further notice]
Cell phone: (415) 203-7234 [call between 9 am and 5 pm, Pacific time]"

UCGHI Planetary Health Summer Fellowships – Applications due Friday, April 30th

"There are several summer fellowship opportunities available for UC undergraduate and graduate students through the UCGHI Planetary Health Center of Expertise Summer Work Experience Program (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=3a91053592&e=51238ef4b3) ! In partnership with UC Agriculture and Natural Resources Cooperative Extension, we are looking for motivated students to apply for agriculture-based summer fellowships. Fellows will be placed with a host mentor within the UC ANR to conduct research and perform work in fields such as soil health, crop management and pest control, horticulture, virtual extension, outreach and community engagement, and much more! Please visit the UCGHI Planetary Health Center of Expertise (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=ba1ac5ba67&e=51238ef4b3)  website for more information on the available opportunities (can be found in the downloadable
application) and to apply. The application deadline is Friday, April 30th. Interviews will occur in early May, with placement to follow based on the interest, skills, and experience of the applicant."

** Instagram (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=452aca77f9&e=51238ef4b3)
** Instagram (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=ed5afb80fc&e=51238ef4b3)
** Calendar (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=c77551c6d1&e=51238ef4b3)
** Calendar (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=b09582941c&e=51238ef4b3)
** Email (mailto:theseedsucr at gmail.com)
** Email (mailto:theseedsucr at gmail.com)
** Website (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=0f4f83a0b8&e=51238ef4b3)
** Website (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=4a9ba67341&e=51238ef4b3)

This email was sent to ccbseeds at lists.ucr.edu (mailto:ccbseeds at lists.ucr.edu)
why did I get this? (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/about?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=ea1ee9cfb3&e=51238ef4b3&c=826e730c69)     unsubscribe from this list (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=ea1ee9cfb3&e=51238ef4b3&c=826e730c69)     update subscription preferences (https://weebly.us1.list-manage.com/profile?u=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&id=ea1ee9cfb3&e=51238ef4b3&c=826e730c69)
SEEDS at UCR . 900 University Ave . Riverside, CA 92521-9800 . USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp
http://www.mailchimp.com/email-referral/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=referral_marketing&aid=f3d85f6e95688eb6979834f4c&afl=1